Record prices for records!

BillF

I notice that the cost of records is coming up for discussion quite a lot; e.g. in AotM, where increasing rarity of some OJC items is becoming an issue. I am astounded to find £1,006 (about $2,000) being asked on amazon uk for a new copy of the Bill Evans CD Turn Out the Stars! Who buys stuff at that price? I admit to having gone as far as £30 on a couple of occasions for used CDs that I particularly wanted. How much have you paid or would you pay? Confessions will be received in confidence!

I notice that the cost of records is coming up for discussion quite a lot; e.g. in AotM, where increasing rarity of some OJC items is becoming an issue. I am astounded to find £1,006 (about $2,000) being asked on amazon uk for a new copy of the Bill Evans CD Turn Out the Stars! Who buys stuff at that price? I admit to having gone as far as £30 on a couple of occasions for used CDs that I particularly wanted. How much have you paid or would you pay? Confessions will be received in confidence!

this one?

http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/198...ordings-CD.html

or to make the point, if the item offered there for 55 Euro is really that thing: these extremely high prices for cds seem to be aimed at buyers who don't compare prices...

compare:

http://www.amazon.de/Enfin-Lou-Bennett/dp/...3476&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Enfin-Lou-Bennett/dp...3506&sr=8-1

lou bennett enfin for 200 Euro vs 84 $ on amazon.de and amazon.com marketplace (got my copy half a year ago at ebay.de for a 10 Euro buy it now price...)

edit: or ist the turn out the stars cd this one? (16 Euro, 26 for new)

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B000...3814&sr=8-1

Edited by Niko

Interesting,Niko! Thanks for that!

P.S.The amazon.de version has a different cover design. The priceminister version looks the same.

no evans expert here, but if i got this right one (amazon.de) is single cd live at ronnie scott's on the dreyfus label while the other is a box set live at the village vanguard...

P.S.The amazon.de version has a different cover design. The priceminister version looks the same.

no evans expert here, but if i got this right one (amazon.de) is single cd live at ronnie scott's on the dreyfus label while the other is a box set live at the village vanguard...

Yes, you're right. Looking more closely, I see that the £1,006 item is a 6CD set, which I suppose goes some way to explain, though not justify, the price asked! Still a tad beyond my range, though!

Edited by BillF

Yes, you're right. Looking more closely, I see that the £1,006 item is a 6CD set, which I suppose goes some way to explain, though not justify, the price asked! Still a tad beyond my range, though!

someone should grab that 55 Euro copy however while it's there...

As for what is probably a record of a different kind, I bought the Gerry Mulligan

Complete Verve Concert Jazz Band sessions Mosaic set for less than 20 Euro

- that was the actual Buy it now!-Price on eBay. I was on the fence regarding

that set (not really a big fan of bigger ensembles, but I dig Mulligan and Bob

Brookmeyer) and this offer made it REALLY easy to decide for the set after all. :excited:

I'm really not at all keen on forking out for more than the original asking price of a cd/lp/set as I don't really think the collector's market is a healthy one musically (clearly it is healthy financially). I also only buy things to listen to and see no point personally in owning an item of music that then remains untouched and unplayed.

I have paid a little more on occasion, the one sticking in my mind is £20 for a mint vinyl, EX sleeve first pressing of Neil Young's Journey Through The Past double LP soundtrack, but that's really as far as I'll go.

This might cause problems with A. Braxton, my latest obsession, so you might see me confessing to the ridiculous later on...