playing with bad drummers

Soul Stream

I find that most musicians I know who come out to catch a gig DON'T want to sit in for the most part. They usually come out to listen to someone else play. That's the way I feel about stuff. I KNOW how I play, I wan't to hear someone else if I make their gig. That's why I came, to see THEM play.

You want a bad drummer? I got a story - I played once (maybe 15 years ago?) with a guy who was an old time swing kind of player, but in a situation that was just a typical straightahead gig. Someone called "All Blues" and this guy played straight 4/4. Could not even tell he was off. The whole damn tune. It was surreal. I think if someone went and told him to play 3/4 he wouldn't have been able to. As I recall, his time was good, but he had absolutely no sense of repertoire or variety - he had his one bag and that was it. At least with the drum machine you can get the meter and style right!

Mike

Maybe you just couldn't understand the concept he was laying down! :P

Actually, that reminds me of a similar experience I had with a drummer whose ride cymbal technique was referred to by Bill Heid as "poking the gopher." Someone called off West Coast Blues, and though the guy did manage to play it in 3/4, by the end of my solo he was just bashing away like a maniac! The organist and I exchanged a glance that said, "I don't what the hell he's doing either, but let's land this thing quick!" Luckily, no one was injured.

Edited by Joe G

I'd much rather play without a drummer than play with a bad one.

I understand what you're saying... Being a drummer myself, I feel that way about bass players. (HeeHee)....

The problem with a lot of younger musicians, (drummers in particular) is that

they don't learn how to LISTEN. A lot of these guyz go to clinics, buy drum videos, and drum magazines that feature these macho "Chopzilla" style drummers (with full product endorsements), who approach drumming as a competitive sport.

I went to an all day drum event and most of the featured drumkit artists played pointless solos that sounded more like an intense thunderstorm than music! And most of them never talked about the important issues like learning the different genres and styles of Jazz & Pop music, learning how to comp behind solos, learning how to play the song form, and most importantly, learning how to LISTEN and play musically and tastefully, especially when backing a vocalist. I ended up walking out on Virgil Denati's

clinic!

The guy just kept up this 16th note triplet roar on a double bass drum pedal at 150 beats a minute while thrashing away at cymbals, snare, and toms.. There was no discernable composition in his demonstration. I wanted to take the mic and say, "There you go folks, this is an example of what the average bandleader does NOT want to hear on a gig!" :excited:

I think most musicians in general "skip" the basics. Good time, phrasing and listening make up 90% of what we think of as good musicianship. Technical capacity beyond those concepts is just gravy. Most players, myself included, aren't to the level where what is espoused as virtuosity is little more than mindless licks and flash. The ability to incorporate the mind-boggling into the song and still keep it musical is not something I'm capable of. As are 99.9% of musicians I think.

The great players I've come in contact with are always bringing it down to the most basic levels, even for themselves.

I think most musicians in general "skip" the basics. Good time, phrasing and listening make up 90% of what we think of as good musicianship. Technical capacity beyond those concepts is just gravy. Most players, myself included, aren't to the level where what is espoused as virtuosity is little more than mindless licks and flash. The ability to incorporate the mind-boggling into the song and still keep it musical is not something I'm capable of. As are 99.9% of musicians I think.

The great players I've come in contact with are always bringing it down to the most basic levels, even for themselves.

Well spoken! The old timers I learned to play from would always tell me to just listen, take your time and tell a story when you solo, and don't try to fill every open space...

Many years ago while working with a funky old tenor player I remember struggling a little with the feel on a tune... Sensing this, the tenor player turned around smiling and said, :rolleyes: "Just relax and watch the bitche's ass"...

Well, here it is mid-afternoon on Friday. I have a decent paying 6:30 to 9 gig tommorrow evening ($100 a man) easy gig. My drummer bailed a couple of days ago for a super-paying private party out of town. I said it was cool and immediatley began the calls. Well, I'm fucked again. I've called everybody and then some with no luck. I'm so fucking sick of this shit I could scream....

Sorry to hear that Soul. I take it it's a room that needs a drummer so you can't do without. Jim and I did a drummerless gig last night. That's a bit of a challenge actually, when you are so used to having it there.

Well, I hope you don't have to go with the swing era guy again. :(

I'm thinking about just calling a horn player. Trouble is, it's kind of a Saturday-nightish vibe to the gig. Going drummerless may prove to be too mellow. Maybe not if I get a fiery tenor. I'm tired of calling and thinking about the whole thing. This late in the game is getting very stressful, no matter who I get. This time frame seems to be overlapping most players late-night gigs. Uggg. Plus, as you know, playing in untried configurations of people unfamiliar with certain things always makes it stressful on leading a group through 2 hours of music.

Thanks for the support... :wacko:

Well, here it is mid-afternoon on Friday. I have a decent paying 6:30 to 9 gig tommorrow evening ($100 a man) easy gig. My drummer bailed a couple of days ago for a super-paying private party out of town. I said it was cool and immediatley began the calls. Well, I'm fucked again. I've called everybody and then some with no luck. I'm so fucking sick of this shit I could scream....

Damn Soul, too bad you're more than a 3 hour's drive from me. or I'd do the gig! B)