Donald Byrd "First Flight"

Soul Stream

I have this recording on a Delmark LP under Yusef Lateef's name (Delmark 407).

This was planned to being released on Transition records, but - according to the booklet in "The Transition Sessions" of Byrd & Watkins - the label folded and the tapes were bought by Delmark Records at an auction.

Music is quite good, nothing special but decent hard bop. The recording is not too bad either, and...lots of euphonium!

Peter

I have this recording on a Delmark LP under Yusef Lateef's name (Delmark 407).

This was planned to being released on Transition records, but - according to the booklet in "The Transition Sessions" of Byrd & Watkins - the label folded and the tapes were bought by Delmark Records at an auction.

Music is quite good, nothing special but decent hard bop. The recording is not too bad either, and...lots of euphonium!

Peter

Cool. Glad to hear there's lots of euphonium. I saw a musician playing a euphonium in a quartet the other day and it blew me away. The sound is so engaging.

Every time I see or hear the word "euphonium," I think of the excellent indie movie from the UK, BRASSED OFF. Not anything remotely jazz oriented, but a fine film and music is at the core - f you've seen it, you'll know what I mean by the euphonium reference, and if not, you should.