Eugene Friesen..

randissimo

Had a really interesting gig yesterday with cellist Eugene Friesen. I was part of an outdoor concert at the foot of the Sleeping Bear Dunes in northern Michigan. There were two solo cellos, an accompanying cellist, a string quartet, piano, bass, and drums. Some of the pieces performed were solo features written and performed by Friesen as well as solo pieces by the other featured cellist Crispin Campbell. One particular solo piece played by Eugene Friesen was a beautiful and haunting piece inspired by the humpback whales of the Pacific. On this solo Friesen played through some effects pedals. At the end of the first set we played a free improvisational piece and I had a chance to play my "air pressure toms" with mallets. The 2nd piece of the 2nd set was a blues written by Crispin Campbell where I got the chance to do an ad lib harmonica thing with Crispin on the intro.. At the end of the concert there were two feature arrangements for the whole ensemble incorporating South American rhythms..

It was an inspiring day of music.. BIG FUN !!

If you're not familiar with Eugene Friesen here's a link to his website.

http://www.eugenefriesenmusic.com/recordings.shtml

He is also involved in Trio Globo, an eclectic, improvisational trio with harmonica wizard/piano player Howard Levy and percussionist Glen Velez.

Edited by randissimo

That does sound like a fun gig!

I haven't heard any of his recent CDs, but I know he's very much into Brazilian music and gigs a lot down there - I wish I could tag along to some of those shows.

"Air pressure toms"? (I'm a hand percussionist, so please forgive my ignorance of drum kit-type gear.)

That does sound like a fun gig!

I haven't heard any of his recent CDs, but I know he's very much into Brazilian music and gigs a lot down there - I wish I could tag along to some of those shows.

"Air pressure toms"? (I'm a hand percussionist, so please forgive my ignorance of drum kit-type gear.)

What that means is I have plastic hoses I shove into the air holes on the shells of my toms and by blowing into the tubes I can bend the tones of the drums up or down. when you blow the pitch bends up, when releasing the compression the pitches bend back down..

• 1 month later...

Hey There, I am bumbling around the 'net looking for a musician and I run across this forum with cats from Michigan discussing a show in Michigan. wow

I am seeking a piano player. A couple of NY artists are marrying near Lansing, MI. Me, originally from MI, and my girl, originally from Italy, will be having a non-formal quick ceremony and then a socializing reception in the same cool old building. I would like some classy, not corny, instrumental music going on. Preferably some more interesting jazz, but not so far out as to upset the older relatives (some are a bit unworldly, though none are square). I have many musician friends but all are unavailable dammit. I have wide music knowledge and taste, though I am a rocker. This should be an interesting gig – cool people, pleasant setting (Grand Ledge Opera House). Anyone here interested in this?

Thanks,

Brian@millerx.com

art.millerx.com