Bill Charlap

bebopbob

The Ellington cd (thanks Jim!) is quite interesting. . . I've been playing it and thinking about it. I haven't yet become a fullblown fan, but he's a very accomplished player!

It would be great if he were to have a US contract. . .again. (IF he doesn't have one now.)

I saw Charlap with the Washingtons a couple of years ago at the Village Vanguard and they were exceptional. All three of them were absolutely top-notch - in this kind of music, I don't think you'll find better than Peter and Kenny Washington, and Charlap was playing beautifully. Ballads as sweet as you like, blues and mid-tempo tunes that swung like crazy, and I think they hit the upper limit of fast tempos that can still be controlled: when they were flying at such high speed I kept expecting things to fall apart from the sheer momentum, but they never lost their grip on that beat. It was exhilarating. So if you get a chance to see them live, don't miss it!

Most are available at Cadence for $20 each which is not a bad price.

Relatively speaking, of course. ;) I think $20 would still deter a lot of potential buyers, but it's a hell of a lot better than ordering from Japan for $30-$35. I'm interested in a number of Venus artists and titles, but even at $20 it's a bit discouraging for an avid jazz fan (and CD buyer) to think about collecting a lot of things from their catalog. I've bought a few Eddie Higgins CD's directly through Eddie for $15... maybe I should think about trying to contact Charlap and eliminate the middleman. :unsure: