Dusty Groove enthuses...

David Ayers

I didn't realise that you were supposed to actually listen to these...

Jamey Aebersold -- II-V7-I Progression. . . LP . . . $9.99 (Item: 46464) Just Reduced!

JA, 1978 Condition: Very Good+ View Cart

One of many fine records cut for the Jamey Aebersold label of jazz improvisation/instruction albums -- and one that features some excellent piano work by Dan Haerle. The piano is all acoustic, but it's got a freely soulful feel that makes the album way more than just a jazz instruction album -- and the best cuts have a tight trio groove and lots of nice bass work by Rufus Reid. Titles include "G Minor Blues", "Bebop Tune", "F Blues with An 8 Bar Bridge", "II V7 I", "II V7", and "0 V7 9". (Includes the instruction booklet.)

Edited by David Ayers

This topic came up once on the BN board as well. Here's the deal.....you shouldn't forget that Dusty Groove began as a funk shop. As such, they have a strong hip-hop clientele and many of those Abersold LPs contain beats ripe for sampling. "Mr. Super Hip" from Nothin' But Blues, Vol. 2 is a good example. It even splits the instruments into bass/drums on the left channel and keys/drums on the right.