Mathias Eick - The Door

GA Russell

I have a new ECM album I can recommend by a young (28) trumpeter from Norway named Mathias Eick called The Door. This is his first album under his own name.

I like Eick (get it? :lol: ) because of his beautiful open tone.

Like most recent ECM issues, the songs seem more stream of consciousness than compositions, but I find all of this one to be pleasant to listen to. It is relaxing, but not as quiet as some other ECMs that have come out this year.

Pianist Jon Balke plays a major part in this. His recent album Book of Velocities was discussed here: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...03&hl=Balke Balke's playing is much more upbeat here than it was on his own album.

The other musicians are Audun Kleive on drums, Audun Erlien on electric bass, and Stian Carstensen on pedal steel guitar.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw Mathias Eick with Manu Katché's band just recently, and I've been deeply impressed by his sound and his lyrical/melodical improvisations. He obviously enjoyed playing with that band, smiling most of time, listening carefully to the solos of his bandmates, and contributing some great solos. I bought The Door after the concert. I like it a lot, and I'll definitely check out any new release with Mathias Eick.

btw I never saw a drummer playing as relaxed as Manu Katché. If you ever get the chance to see him live - don't miss him.

I just gave 'The Door' a first listen yesterday - liked what I heard but need to give it some time. Immediate reference point was Tomasz Stanko but with more listens that might vanish.

He's also very good on Iro Haarla's 'Northbound'.

I believe he also plays on the two ECMs by guitarist Jacob Young. I'm keen to hear those now.