How are our board members doing in the fire

I just want to echo what Maren just said, but I'm also wondering if somebody can help me out a bit. I did some searching on Google last night, trying to get some specific detail as to exactly where the fires are and what communities are affected or in danger. I have some friends in Murrieta (between L.A. and San Diego), and they haven't yet responded to an e-mail I sent yesterday. So, does anybody have a link to a good map? I found one, but it was kind of vague...

Thanks

Jim,

I've been looking around for some info for you.

Here's a link to an active fires map:

Active fires map

From looking at the map, Murrieta doesn't seem to be where the fires are. The closest city to Murrieta on the map (I believe) is Temecula.

Here's a link to a talk radio station in San Diego. They have news on their page and links to other pages with fire info.

KOGO radio in San Diego

I hope your friends and their home are well!

AB, thanks a lot. Fortunately, since my last post I've received an e-mail from the friends in Murrieta. They feel "surrounded", but are doing fine thus far. Apparently the closest any blaze got to their place was about 20 miles away. Scary stuff. Thanks again, best wishes to all.

I live in the northernmost San Diego community of Oceanside --- no threat imminent here, but my best friend narrowly averted losing his home. I guy I work with lost his, and I have two friends who I can't contact who live in the "extreme danger" zone. Don't know about them. This is really horrible stuff --- the whole town is surrounded by a dense, devilish haze/smoke. The sun is red.

Hotels are filled with evacuees, who are now being forced to flee in the direction of Borrego Springs ------ our eastern desert. Everyone here knows someone who is being to a greater or lesser degree impacted by this. My whole family lives here, and all of us live in one of the "safe" areas. I'm counting my blessings tonight.

I was speaking to my sister lastnight. She lives in Moorpark Cali, no immdediate danger, but it's some real bad shit.

I put in a bid for brush and weed removal in LA county earlier this year.

I think overall they had the right idea, but the removal plan could have probably been a little more aggressive.

We didn't get any of the LA county work, but have been given some work by the State of Arizona for a similar project. Here we are clearing an average of 30 feet from the edge of pavement out. All brush and trees are being taken out of those areas. The State is also thinning trees and removing dead, declining, and trees that have been attacked by bark beetles.

This obviously will not do much in case of lightning strikes or campfire accidents, but should help prevent fires when people throw flaming shit out of their cars.