Are Bud Powell Solo Transcriptions Available?

Peter Johnson

Hi all.

The RVGs have reawakened my interest in Bud, being the phenomenal player that he is.

I've transcribed in the past--LABORIOUS!!!--and after listening to Autumn in New York, was wondering if anyone has ever used and/or can recommend any published note-for-note piano transcriptions of his work.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Peter J

I have a book of solo transcriptions - perhaps from a series called 'Jazz Masters'(?), although I honestly can't remember, because it's buried somewhere in another apartment! If it helps, there's also a Tatum and a Monk in the series (as weel as various non-pianists - Django, Charlie Christian, Bird, Miles, etc.)

Off the top of my head, the tunes are (I'm afraid I can't remember which versions of):

Hallucinations

Celia

I'll Keep Loving You

Strictly Confidential

Tempus Fugit, and

A Night in Tunisia.

I think the transcriptions are by a guy called Clifford Jay Safane, and are pretty good!

I'll report back if I'm able to think of any more details, but in the meantime, will listen intently to other comments, because I'm on a BIG Bud kick as well (although I think I always am, actually..!)

Hope this helps!