Teri Thornton

ghost of miles

I didn't hear Teri Thornton until her 1999 comeback CD I'LL BE EASY TO FIND. She died of cancer shortly thereafter, and it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I picked up two CDs of her early-1960's work--DEVIL MAY CARE and OPEN HIGHWAY. Her voice didn't really strike me at first, but I've found myself returning more and more to the CDs in the past three days, esp. OPEN HIGHWAY, which is less jazzy than DEVIL MAY CARE, but which has an interesting selection of non-standard songs (or songs that never became standards, anyway). She sang "Somewhere in the Night," the theme song to the TV show Naked City, and I'm hoping to find the Dauntless LP that bears that song name as its title.

I find Devil May Care an enjoyable record - actually my favorite moment is not her singing (which I do like), but Earl Warren's solo introducing "Dancing in the Dark". It always sounds a little off the wall to me, but I thoroughly enjoy it every time I hear it.

Somewhere in the Night has been reissued. Cadence just reviewed it in their current (April) issue, and they carry it (along with several other Dauntless reissues) in their center sale section.

I had the wonderful opportunity to be in the studio with Teri during the recording of I'LL BE EASY TO FIND. I was working for her producer/manager at the time. It will always be a very special record for me. Check the liners, kids, and you'll see my first credit. Production Assistant. Sounds exciting, but it really means that I went and picked up the take-out chinese food. :D

Seriously, it was a great session. My favorite tune on the record is Nature Boy. Seeing that come together was incredible. The horns are actually overdubbed. It was a trio performance live in the studio. I think I may have some outtakes somewhere on a cassette.

• 15 years later...

I have had the opportunity to find and collect this Live video jazz festival in Berlino 1995.-

There is also a 'rare , rare' short clips of lady Teri Thornton  Trio at Village Gate New York..

-871,1-Teri Thornton,vcl- 4t ,,jim holibourgh sax ,,kim clarke,cb
   ,,bernice brooks,dr Live Jazz Festival in Berlino , 1995 , t.22' ..