Drumming with brushes

ejp626

This isn't the most profound question, but is it possible for a drummer using only brushes to sound like he has regular drum sticks? I was listening to Seeds by the Sahib Shihab Qunitet, and the liner notes writer says that Klook is using brushes on the entire LP. Well, that's not what my ears are telling me (esp. on the final track), but I've been wrong before. Nice album either way.

If the brushes are not extended all the way they can have a sharper attack. And the brushes can also be played in reverse - striking the kit with the metal end.

I was wondering about that, though I have to say if the impressive thing is that Klook is playing everything with brushes, then flips them around and plays the ends, is that really any "better" than just playing with regular sticks? Well, if anyone has a chance to listen to the album, they can weigh in.

There could be a number of different explanations for what you're hearing. The first is that the drummer may have used brushes on all the tunes, but not necessarily used them all the way through each tune. If he started out with brushes an a particular track, changed to sticks in the middle and then changed back to brushes at the end, the liner notes could still be considered to be correct. It's kind of like saying a drum shell is 5-ply maple when all that's required to make that claim is that the 1st, 3rd and 5th ply be maple.

The second possibility is that he's actually playing with brushes and the sound engineer in the studio performed a little bit of his magic on on the sound to produce a particular effect.

Then, of course, there's the possibility that the person who wrote the liner notes was wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

If the brushes are not extended all the way they can have a sharper attack. And the brushes can also be played in reverse - striking the kit with the metal end.

I was wondering about that, though I have to say if the impressive thing is that Klook is playing everything with brushes, then flips them around and plays the ends, is that really any "better" than just playing with regular sticks? Well, if anyone has a chance to listen to the album, they can weigh in.

I don't think it's a question of "better" or "worse" - it's the sounds and tonal colors that matter. Brushes can do things that sticks can't, and vice versa. It's the player who has to make the call re. what's most effective at a given moment. (I'm not a set player, but I am a hand percussionist who uses brushes and sticks on occasion, so this is just my take.)

Edited by seeline