Enjoying vinyl with a new toy

wolff

Currently listening to Hampton Hawes/ Green Leaves of Summer with my new phono cartridge. It's a Garrott Brothers P77 from Sydney, Australia.

I'd heard good things about it and knew it was a good match for my arm. Other than that, I bought it 'blind'.

It's hyped as having a " unique “Micro Tracer” diamond fitted to the P77 is remarkably “quiet,” helping to bring older recordings to life. It digs deep into the groove retrieving nuances that most diamonds skate over. "

So far so good. Some slightly worn/noisy LP's are much, much more quiet. And normally quiet LP's are 'dead' quiet.

Music is very involving and more dynamic and natural sounding than some other, more expensive, cartridges I have.

It's amazing how some second-hand LPs which look visually very good can sound like **** due to stylus wear grinding out the grooves. I had this happen to me recently with a mono NYC copy of Hutcherson's 'Happenings'. Too bad ..

What arm are you using with the LP12? I've got a Naim Aro on my set-up and have been very happy with the results.

Edited by sidewinder

An Aro...that's a very nice arm. I've listened to one a couple of times. Uni-pivots are interesting. Almost bought a Moerch uni-pivot a few months ago. I have an Ittok LVII(black). 20 years old and still going strong. I've kept the LP12 sounding good by replacing springs, grommets, etc..

That's a bitch when you get a hard to find LP with groove damage. It's happened to me a few times. But, it's worth it when you find one that's hardly been played in 40 years.

This Garott P77 is still sounding like a helluva cartridge for the money. I got it on sale.

I used to use Naim amps until I went all valve.

wolff - I run a Naim NAP250 power amp and love the sound of it. I've the NAC72 pre-amp but want to upgrade to NAC82 at some stage.

The Aro is a great arm - no cueing mechanism on it though so a bit of careful lifting and placement is required. I used to have an Akito arm and the Aro is a huge improvement. Very clean response.

That's interesting about the P77. I'll have to check it out.

20 year old LP12? That's one of the nice things about them - they run forever and never go out of style.

It's hyped as having a " unique “Micro Tracer” diamond fitted to the P77 is remarkably “quiet,” helping to bring older recordings to life. It digs deep into the groove retrieving nuances that most diamonds skate over. "

Wouldn't this wear out the vinyl quicker?

Current documentation wouldn't suggest that. These needles don't actually *dig* deeper into the surface. They are engineered to hit all the way to the bottom of the groove, meaning that they are, among other things, more narrow and hit more points where information rests within the groove. They are also more sentitive to points higher up in the groove. Many chaper needles only hit the top, say, two-thirds or three-fourths of the information in a groove.