So, what do you think??? Bunny Berigan or

BERIGAN

Was curious if there were any Chick Bullock recordings on youtube. Found this one. I really can think of no other singer from the 30's that could sound so good on one track, (IMHO)like this one, and then turn around and be just terrible on the next one...anyway, not the reason I started this thread. Most everyone thinks it's Bunny Berigan, but I, along with at least one other person, thinks it's Manny Klein. Usually the only time I confuse the two is when they are playing muted, fairly tame solos. But, even though the register sounds like Bunny's, the number of notes, something...just makes me think it's not him.

I have the track on an old Art Deco 2 cd set from Columbia called the Crooners. They list Berigan as well...there must be one or two folks who have an opinion????

Corrected link to

Edited by BERIGAN

well Berigan, I have no idea of the answer to your questions, buy we agree on Bunny (who by the way was a communist) - he's my favorite trumpeter of that era - favorite solos: Willow Tree with Mildred Bailey and Blues from one of the 1937 Metronome All Stars Sesssion with Tommy Dorsey, Dick McDounough (I think) and a really drunk Fats Waller -

Was curious if there were any Chick Bullock recordings on youtube. Found this one. I really can think of no other singer from the 30's that could sound so good on one track, (IMHO)like this one, and then turn around and be just terrible on the next one...

to Eddie Condon's immortal quote: "Chick Bullock was so bad that he once tried to carry a tune across the street and broke both legs"

Hmm. My initial attempt to reply to this appears to have gone into limbo, so I'll try again.

As Stereojack has already pointed out, the vocalist is not Chick Bullock. He sounds nothing like Bullock.

The only real saving grace on this side is the Joe Venuti solo.

For what it's worth, Eddie Condon's wit nothwithstanding, Chick Bullock was a far better vocalist than most of his contemporaries.

Yes I didn't bother to repeat the fact that the singer was correctly identified as Elmer Feldkamp. Chick has long been the singer we loved to 'hate' - not literally - he was much better than the appalling Irving Kaufman, and the above Elmer, but I'd rather hear Smith Ballew, Dick Roberston or the curiously Shakespearean delivery of Red McKenzie. Chick's main problem was, like Tony Bennett, a complete and utter inability to swing. And the frustration was that he took up a at least a chorus on a date where the band was invariably filled with great jazz men. Still, if there hadn't been Chick, maybe the Berigan sides with Bud Freeman and Forrest Crawford wouldn't have happened....some of the hottest records ever made.

N.B. - or warning...if you buy the Mosaic Berigan box, boy will you get a lotta Chick!

Stereojack, Carnivore, you trying to pulll my leg??? Trying to gaslight me or somethin'? ^_^

Stereojack, the Bullock track is #8 on disc two. Perhaps you have a different Crooners cd?? Heres the link to the one I am talking about. Can't believe someone has a used copy for only $7, I sold one I found back when B&N got cool bargain cds, for about $50!

Elmer Feldkamp ??? Never heard of the guy, so therefore, he cannot exist!!! Well, seems there was someone with that goofy name...sounds a bit like Chick, but I really don't think it's him on the youtube clip You're getting to be a habit with me

The mental giant that I am, I just remembered I have a Chick Bullock cd from Retrieval!(Only $11 for all those many, many fans of Chick! ) It's track 4 there. And Manny Klein is given credit, but there is no discussion as to why they say that. Probably why I thought it wasn't Berigan in the first place!!!

Interesting fact mentioned in the booklet, Lee Wiley co-wrote Anytime, Anyplace, Anywere, and Chick Bullock himself said how appropiate that it was her theme song! :excited:

well Berigan, I have no idea of the answer to your questions, buy we agree on Bunny (who by the way was a communist) - he's my favorite trumpeter of that era - favorite solos: Willow Tree with Mildred Bailey and Blues from one of the 1937 Metronome All Stars Sesssion with Tommy Dorsey, Dick McDounough (I think) and a really drunk Fats Waller -

Allen, it was worse than that, Bunny didn't vote for Roosevelt! :ph34r:

So, Bunny is your favorite Trumpeter of that era as well? See, I knew you couldn't be completely evil. Hitler liked dogs as well. :rhappy:

Those are great solos. 4 drunks on the same date, is it any wonder they only recorded 2 sides that day?? Such a shame they couldn't cut 4....

well Berigan, I have no idea of the answer to your questions, buy we agree on Bunny (who by the way was a communist)
In what sense? I can't imagine, between the playing and the drinking there was much time for hanging out at Party HQ and digesting the latest messages from the Kremlin. Did he have a party card? He was in good company in those days anyway. Maybe he just had an enlarged sense of social justice - something that wouldn't have had to be very pronounced to get him classified as a Red in those days. Pity he died before he would have had the opportunity to decline the date on which Vaughn Monroe recorded 'The Only Red We Want Is the Red We've Got In the Old Red White and Blue'

(Priceless bit of trivia - the B side of said disc was 'Cincinnatti Ohio (That's the City for My Dough'. You can't make this stuff up.)

Stereojack, Carnivore, you trying to pulll my leg??? Trying to gaslight me or somethin'? ^_^

Stereojack, the Bullock track is #8 on disc two. Perhaps you have a different Crooners cd?? Heres the link to the one I am talking about. Can't believe someone has a used copy for only $7, I sold one I found back when B&N got cool bargain cds, for about $50!

Elmer Feldkamp ??? Never heard of the guy, so therefore, he cannot exist!!! Well, seems there was someone with that goofy name...sounds a bit like Chick, but I really don't think it's him on the youtube clip You're getting to be a habit with me

The mental giant that I am, I just remembered I have a Chick Bullock cd from Retrieval!(Only $11 for all those many, many fans of Chick! ) It's track 4 there. And Manny Klein is given credit, but there is no discussion as to why they say that. Probably why I thought it wasn't Berigan in the first place!!!

Interesting fact mentioned in the booklet, Lee Wiley co-wrote Anytime, Anyplace, Anywere, and Chick Bullock himself said how appropiate that it was her theme song! :excited:

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Your link sent me to "It's the Girl", by Freddie Rich, recorded for Hit of the Week, an orchestra with whom Bunny recorded many sides. However, it appears that the track with the trumpet solo you are discussing is "Anytime, Anyday, Anywhere" by Chick Bullock & His Levee Loungers, a long running ARC studio outfit with whom Bunny also recorded many sides. I just listened to the latter, and I agree, I don't think it's Bunny, even though the CD credits him in the notes. One should take information provided by record labels with a grain of salt anyway, and go to more reliable sources (discographies), although the details on this type of studio date aren't always solid, and one must go with one's ears. I checked Rust and he says Berigan or Klein - I agree it's probably Klein. Bunny tends to be more forceful and dynamic.

As for Chick Bullock, some purists tend to dismiss him and his ilk, but I agree with Jazztrain. I've developed quite a fondness for him over the years, and I think he's among the better vocalists of that era.

Chick has long been the singer we loved to 'hate' - not literally - he was much better than the appalling Irving Kaufman, and the above Elmer, but I'd rather hear Smith Ballew, Dick Roberston or the curiously Shakespearean delivery of Red McKenzie.

I like McKenzie & Ballew, but I find Robertson to be insufferable!

But that's just me. :mellow:

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Your link sent me to "It's the Girl", by Freddie Rich, recorded for Hit of the Week, an orchestra with whom Bunny recorded many sides. However, it appears that the track with the trumpet solo you are discussing is "Anytime, Anyday, Anywhere" by Chick Bullock & His Levee Loungers, a long running ARC studio outfit with whom Bunny also recorded many sides. I just listened to the latter, and I agree, I don't think it's Bunny, even though the CD credits him in the notes. One should take information provided by record labels with a grain of salt anyway, and go to more reliable sources (discographies), although the details on this type of studio date aren't always solid, and one must go with one's ears. I checked Rust and he says Berigan or Klein - I agree it's probably Klein. Bunny tends to be more forceful and dynamic.

As for Chick Bullock, some purists tend to dismiss him and his ilk, but I agree with Jazztrain. I've developed quite a fondness for him over the years, and I think he's among the better vocalists of that era.

Oh good gravy, I had copied the link to the other clip earlier, thought I had gotten the link to the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qy381Ax3xwin there, but clearly not! :winky: Will fix that...sigh...I did do it very late last night/this morning....

And I agree, I like more than dislike Chick. He can't save a bad song.

Edited by BERIGAN