Autotune and Chopped n Screwed Hip Hop Music

blajay

It's really easy to be hip and automatically put down artists who use autotune, especially those that use it for correcting their pitch. That was definitely my immediate reaction when this started to become a trend. But does anyone here have any fondness for some of the stuff that has been done with it, in commercial mainstream hip hop? I have to say, I have a weakness for the occasional T-Pain tune. I really think autotune is being manipulated in funky ways. I may be single-handedly killing my reputation here, but I kind of think T-Pain is the fucking man. His shit is catchy. What about the Kanye album? Lil Wayne is kind of huge now because of it. Is it all bad, or is there some inherent quality in autotune. The same goes for some of the stuff that is chopped n screwed. Anybody (that isn't tripping on Robitussin) like DJ Screw or Mike Jones?

How about this controversial analogy for the future of autotune: piano is to B3 organ as vocals is to autotune.

I'm not sure I actually stand by any of this, haha. But I thought it would spark an interesting discussion.

Oh yeah.

Zapp and Roger were doing the same kind of thing in the 80s, interesting to see it come to light again. In a BIG way. You can't turn around without hearing T-Pain on a record in the pop world anymore.

Nice. I'm listening to Zapp and Roger now in "More Bounce To The Ounce" in a funk compilation from 1980. I guess that is a slightly different technology--a talk box. So it is probably more musical because it is put through a guitar or keyboard that you actually have to play. With autotune you don't have to sing/play in tune at all. Definitely similar appeal anyway.

Kanye West (on "808 and Heartbreak") has done what might have previously seemed impossible - He used autotune as an instrument, not "fixing" his vocals per se, but actually using it to make his singing simultaniously more emotive and paradoxically less human. T-Pain certainly uses the autotune to good effect, but the fact is that he CAN sing without it. Kanye turned what might have been an awkward album into an excellent album through his creative use of the device.

Kanye West (on "808 and Heartbreak") has done what might have previously seemed impossible - He used autotune as an instrument, not "fixing" his vocals per se, but actually using it to make his singing simultaniously more emotive and paradoxically less human. T-Pain certainly uses the autotune to good effect, but the fact is that he CAN sing without it. Kanye turned what might have been an awkward album into an excellent album through his creative use of the device.

True. Off the top of my head, though, I can't think of any T-pain singing without it. I don't own his albums, so I've really just heard his singles. He rapped before really delving into the autotune thing, but when did he sing without it? Any recommendations?