Vandermark and The Bad Plus

tonym

I'll be at the Purcell Room London on 22nd. I saw the V5 at the same venue just over two year ago. I went out of curiosity mainly never having heard them. The reviews I'd read suggested that the band were pretty far out but in fact they were amazing, the music had plenty of room for adventurous free expression but was structured and not hard to get with. I became an instant fan.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonym, Did you get to see School Days in Leeds. They were fine in London coming over better than on either of the two cds. Vandermark played as much baritone as he did tenor, Jeb Bishop probably took solo honours but it was a close thing.

The London concert was recorded by the BBC but no broadcast date yet.

Anyone get to the Birmingham gig?

Sorry John I've just replied to your other post (with pic)!

I'm working my way down the new posts and didn't notice this one.

Ken Vandermark must be one of the only tenor players I've heard who gets as big a sound out of the smaller horn as he does on bari'.

Such a deep, rough, fruity sound. Loved it.

I am pleased that Jazz On 3 are broadcasting at some point.

BTW did they play Loose Blues? They performed a rather subdued but beautiful version of that, with Vandermark on clarinet.

School days were great in Edinburgh ( Henrys).

Nilsen Love is one of the best if not the best drummer I have ever heard.

He constantly amazes. I have seen him 3 or 4 times now and his power and finesse astonishes me.

They had loads and I mean loads of CDs at Henrys that night and some LPs too !! Restricted my self to Freefall Furnace that I posted about and Atomic new Jazzland Acoustic CD "Boom Boom" and something called "Exploding customer" . The last two are as yet unplayed but surely will rock !!!!!

Edited by Clunky