Miles Davis Columbia Box Sets

I'm wondering if anyone has taken the time to go through the various Miles Davis Columbia box sets to replicate the original issues of the music. For example, I'm fairly certain that, for IASW, the original album comprised tracks 3 and 4 (shhh/peaceful and in a silent way/it's about that time) from disc 3 of the box. But that one's easy--the 1965-1968 quintet, on the other hand, spreads tracks from multiple albums over the discs, and they're not necessarily in original album order.

Has anyone taken the time, as I believe couw did with the Bill Evans riverside box, to put together lists to "recreate" the original albums from these sets? I thought I'd ask before taking the time to do it in case someone else has done the work already.

If nobody has, then I'll do it, and will be happy to post the results for those who are interested.

Thanks!

I've re-assembled the 65-68 and IASW discs as original LPs (with a couple of discs with the oddities on). There is overlap between the two with 'Files de Kilimanjaro' and 'Water Babies'.

Not sure where the Word file went that I used to make the CD-R sleeves - but mine was very basic - titles, timings and musicians.

I find it much easier to listen to this way.

Bev, that's exactly what I'm looking for. If you find it, do kindly post a link or the text! I love the boxes for "study" purposes, but sometimes I just want to listen to the albums.

I've re-assembled the 65-68 and IASW discs as original LPs (with a couple of discs with the oddities on). There is overlap between the two with 'Files de Kilimanjaro' and 'Water Babies'.

Not sure where the Word file went that I used to make the CD-R sleeves - but mine was very basic - titles, timings and musicians.

I find it much easier to listen to this way.

Well, look what I found! No timings but... Apologies for any errors. I'm sure there are others here who can spot them instantly!

E.S.P.

Eighty-One

Little One

R.J.

Agitation

Iris

Mood

Miles Davis (trumpet); Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano); Ron Carter (acoustic bass); Tony Williams (drums).

Recorded at Columbia Studios, Los Angeles, California from January 20-22, 1965.

Orbits

Circle

Footprints

Dolores

Freedom Jazz Dance

Gingerbread Boy

Miles Davis (trumpet); Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano); Ron Carter (acoustic bass); Tony Williams (drums).

Recorded at the Columbia 30th Street Studio, New York, New York on October 24 & 25, 1966.

Nefertiti

Fall

Hand Jive

Madness

Riot

Pinocchio

Miles Davis (trumpet); Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano); Ron Carter (bass); Tony Williams (drums).

Recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studio, New York, New York on between June 7 and July 19, 1967.

Prince Of Darkness

Pee Wee

Masqualero

The Sorcerer

Limbo

Vonetta

Nothing Like You

Miles Davis (trumpet); Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano); Ron Carter (bass); Tony Williams (drums).

Additional personnel: Bob Dorough (vocals); Frank Rehak (trombone); Paul Chambers, Buster Williams (bass); Jimmy Cobb (drums); Willie Bobo (bongos).

Recorded at Columbia Studio B, New York, New York on May 16, 17 & 24, 1967; Columbia Studio A, New York, New York on August 21, 1962; Columbia Studios, Los Angeles, California on May 9, 1967.

Stuff

Paraphernalia

Black Comedy

Country Son

Miles Davis (trumpet); Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (acoustic & electric pianos); George Benson (guitar); Ron Carter (bass); Tony Williams (drums).

Recorded at Columbia Studio B, New York, New York on January 16 and from May 15-17, 1968.

Water Babies

Capricorn

Sweet Pea

Two Faced

Dual Mr. Anthony Tillmon Williams Process

Additional (my choice...not part of commercial release)

Splash

Splashdown

Miles Davis (trumpet); Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano, electric piano); Chick Corea (electric piano); Dave Holland, Ron Carter (bass); Tony Williams (drums).

Recorded at Columbia Studios, New York, New York between June 7, 1967 & November 12, 1967.

These two were my own cobbled together discs of extras:

Water on the Pond

Fun

Teo’s Bag

Circle in the Round

Thisness

Miles Davis (trumpet); Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano, electric piano, celeste, electric Harpsichord); Ron Carter (bass); Tony Williams (drums).

+ Joe Beck (g) 1, 4

+ Bucky Pizzarelli (g) 2

May 1967 - Jan 1968

Sanctuary

Side Car I

Side Car II

I Have a Dream

Speak Like a Child

Ascent

Directions, No. 1

Directions, No. 2

Miles Davis (trumpet); Wayne Shorter (tenor, soprano saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano, electric piano, 1-6); Chick Corea (electric piano 6-8); Ron Carter (bass, 1-5); Dave Holland (bass, 6-8); Tony Williams (drums, 1-5); Jack de Johnette (drums, 6-8)

+ George Benson (g) 1 (4 has either Benson or Joe Beck on g)

+ Teo Macero (tambourine, 6).

+ Joe Zawinul (e-p on 7, organ on 6)

1-5 Jan-Feb 1968

6-8 Nov 1968

Here's the fun I had with the Quintet and the Silent Way boxes (tracks in italics are not part of any original LP; I didn't use every single track):

Disc 1: ESP

(original LP order)

Disc 2: Miles Smiles

(original LP order)

Disc 3: Sorcerer

Prince Of Darkness

Pee Wee

Masqualero

The Sorcerer

Limbo

Vonetta

Water Babies*

Capricorn*

Sweet Pea*

Masqualero [alt]

Disc 4: Nefertiti

Nefertiti

Fall

Hand Jive

Madness

Riot

Pinocchio

Hand Jive [alt]

Madness [rehearsal]

Madness [alt]

Pinocchio [alt]

Disc 5: Miles in the Sky

Stuff

Paraphernalia

Black Comedy

Country Son

Black Comedy [alt]

Country Son [alt]

Disc 6: Miles in the Sky, Part 2**

Teo’s Bag

Thisness

Circle in the Round

Water on the Pond

Fun

Sanctuary

Side Car I

Side Car II

Disc 7: Filles de Kilimanjaro

Frelon Brun

Tout de Suite

Petits Machins (Little Stuff)

Filles de Kilimanjaro (Girls of Kilimanjaro)

Mademoiselle Mabry

Tout de Suite [alt]

Disc 8: Ascent**

Two Faced*

Dual Mr. Anthony Tillmon Williams Process*

Splash

Splashdown

Ascent

Directions I

Directions II

Disc 9: In a Silent Way

Shhh/Peaceful

In a Silent Way/It's About That Time

Disc 10: Mornin' Fast Train**

In a Silent Way [rehearsal]

Mornin' Fast Train from Memphis to Harlem***

It's About That Time****

The Ghetto Walk

Early Minor

* I wanted to keep the Water Babies tracks with their respective recording sessions

** Not a real album, much less album title; just playing "what if" with the extra tracks

*** This is actually IASW disc 2, track 4 (called "Shhh/Peaceful" on the box). I gave it the original intended name (based on the info in the box) and then edited the fade-in from that disc's track 7

**** This actually starts about 20 seconds into the track on the box, since I edited the fade-in onto the end of the previous track, and then started this track where the electric piano starts playing those descending chords.

I have to say, I'm quite proud of my little edit on that last disc!

Edited by Big Al