What's Up With Nine Winds Records?

BeBop

I strolled into a record shop not far from where I'm working to pick up the local weekly independent newspaper to check out show listings. (Seems like a rare thing these days to have the time.)

I had NO INTENTION of buying anything. But, well, you know...

The $0.49/$0.99 bin was FULL - and I mean FULL - of 9Winds/NineWinds* stuff. Since I'm here two weeks, I can manage the physical discs. Before I leave, I hope to have found a library or some person with whom I can leave these things. I probably only picked up a third of the catalog on-offer (and less than a tenth of the total discs in the bin.) But it did leave me wondering about the status of 9Winds/NineWinds.

NWCD0130 The Vinny Golia Large Ensemble - Pilgrimage to Obscurity (1985)

John Fumo, Rickert, Sal Cracchiolo (t, flg), M. Vlatkovich, John Rapson, David Stout (tb), Eric Messerschmidt (tu), Mike Acosta, Steve Fowler, Montgomery, David Ocker, V. Golia (ww), David Johnson, Ken Filiano, Roberto Miranda (b), Alex Cline, Billy Mintz (d)

NWCD0131 The New Orchestra Workshop - The Future is N.O.W.

Sampler mit Chief Feature, Paul Plimley, Turnaround, Lunar Adventures, Unity

NWCD0134 The Richard Grossman Trio - Trio Live In Real Time (1990)

R. Grossman (p), Ken Filiano (b), Alex Cline (perc)

NWCD0138 Bert Wilson and Rebirth - Live at the Zoo (1988)

Curtis, Youngblood, Metcalf, Meyer

NWCD0139 Rich Halley - Saxophone Animals (1992)

The Lizard Brothers: R. Halley (ts), Rob Blakeslee (t, flg), Tom Hill (tb), Gary Harris (as, ss), Phil Sparks (b), William Thomas (d, perc), Geoff Lee (p)

NWCD0141 Brad Dutz

B. Dutz (solo midi and ethnic percussion)

NWCD0142 The Dick Berk Jazz Adoption Agency - Bouncin with Berk (1990)

D. Berk (d), Mike Fahn (v), Andy Martin (tb), Tad Weed (p), Ken Filiano (b)

NWCD0143 Vinny Golia Chamber Trio - Worldwide and Portable (1986)

V. Golia (ww), Wayne Peet (p), Ken Filiano (b)

NWCD0152 Brad Dutz - Camels (1992)

B. Dutz (perc), Vinny Golia (ww), Nels Cline (g), G. Meek, Mair, Karasony, Emily Hay (fl), Whitmore

NWCD0155 Aardvark Jazz Orchestra - Ardvark Steps Out

Mark Harvey (t, cond), Vinny Golia (ww) a/o

NWCD0162 Dave Ferris - The Quiet One

D. Ferris (p), Bob Sheppard (ts), Eric von Essen (b), Kendall Kay (d), Howie Shear (t)

NWCD0164 Jeff Gauthier - Internal Memo

J. Gauthier (v), Alex Cline (d), Eric von Essen (b, chromatic harm.), David Witham (p, synth)

NWCD0167 Rob Blakeslee - Long Narrows

R. Blakeslee (t, cor, flg), Vinny Golia (ww), Tad Weed (p), Michael Bisio (b), Bob Meyer (d)

NWCD0191 Steuart Liebig's Quartetto Stig - Penso Occulto

(Don't ask my rationale for picking these over everything else. It was just-about random. But at $0.49/$0.99... And yes, I'm probably in for some Vinny Golia overload.)

* Called 9Winds on the CDs themselves, but Nine Winds on their website.

Edited by BeBop

I'd recommend picking up the Rob Blakeslee disc.

I've got the Blakeslee...and all the others listed.

Nine Winds is owned by Vinnie Goliea right? I have some of his stuff on his label but I don't recall it being rare.

I didn't pick it up for rarity. Just figured I could find a little musical pleasure and enlightenment on the cheap.

My posting was really about NineWinds. I was curious about the status of the label. Obviously there was a bunch of brand-new stock being sold dirt cheap.

I strolled into a record shop not far from where I'm working to pick up the local weekly independent newspaper to check out show listings. (Seems like a rare thing these days to have the time.)

I had NO INTENTION of buying anything. But, well, you know...

The story of my life....