Bill Withers

Bright Moments

• 3 weeks later...

Bill Withers was born July 4th, 1938, the youngest of nine children in the small coal-mining town of Slab Fork, West Virginia. Raised in nearby Beckley, he was 13 when his father died. He joined the Navy at 17 and served for nine years, during which time he became interested in singing. He began writing songs to fill a need for lyrics that expressed his feelings. Following his discharge from the Navy in 1965, he moved to L.A. in 1967 to pursue a career in music. He worked assembling toilets for Boeing 747's while recording demo tapes he shopped around and performing in the juke joints during the night. When he debuted on the music scene with "Ain't No Sunshine," he refused to give up his job because of his belief that the music business was a fickle industry and that he was still a novice compared to other working acts like The Temptations or Sammy Davis, Jr... (etc.).

See http://www.billwithersmusic.com and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Withers.

And Bill Withers is still alive, handsome, healthy, humorous -- and, oh, yes, he can still sing!! On August 9th, 'O8, Hal Willner produced a huge Bill Withers celebration during the Celebrate Brooklyn Festival at Prospect Park bandshell. The musicians were Rob Berger, Sarah Bernstein, Steven Bernstein (conductor/ musical director), Charles Burnham, Cornell Dupree, Melanie Dyer, Melvin Gibbs, Corey Glover, Henry Grimes, Jeff Haynes, Nona Hendryx, Marika Hughes, Jim James, Angelique Kidjo, J.T. Lewis, Dana Lyn, Eric Mingus, Janine Nichols, Christine Ohlman, the Persuasions (Jimmy Hayes, Reggie Moore, Joe Russell, Ray Sanders, & Jayotis Washington), Lenny Pickett, Brandon Ross, Sandra St. Victor, Jane Scarpantoni, Jared Scharff, the Swell Season, Howard Tate, James Blood Ulmer, Bill Withers himself (!!), and Kori Withers (Bill's incredibly beautiful and talented singing / songwriting daughter).

Here's a photo of Bill Withers nowadays:

post-3606-1240525265_thumb.jpg

Edited by musicmargaret

I love Bill Withers (at least the first 3 albums). The debut is staggeringly good, one of my favorites of all time.

And don't forget his Live At Carnegie Hall album on Sussex. One of the best live albums of all time.

Yeah, I've got that one, it's sublime. The story he tells before Grandma's Hands is priceless.

• 5 months later...

Hello, all. I just wanted to let you all know that there's a recent interview with Bill Withers in audio and as a transcript at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7236327. And there's a documentary film out now called "Still Bill"; see http://stillbillthemovie.com; the screening schedule is at http://stillbillthemovie.com/screenings; there's also an unusual marketing technique being used to present the film -- you can host your own screenings! And... you can also buy the DVD: http://stillbillthemovie.com/dvd.

Here's what the promoters say about "Still Bill": STILL BILL is an intimate portrait of soul legend Bill Withers, best known for his classics “Ain’t No Sunshine,” “Lean On Me,” “Lovely Day,” “Grandma’s Hands,” and “Just the Two of Us.” With his soulful delivery and warm, heartfelt sincerity, Withers has written the songs that have – and always will – resonate deeply within the fabric of our times. Filmmakers Damani Baker and Alex Vlack follow Withers and offer a unique and rare look inside the world of this fascinating man. Through concert footage, journeys to his birthplace, interviews with music legends, his family and closest friends, STILL BILL presents the story of an artist who has written some of the most beloved songs in our time and who truly understands the heart and soul of a man.

(I might add that he just may truly understand the heart and soul of more than one woman too.)

Edited by musicmargaret

Well, that's not Kori Withers, folks. I'll try to attach a photo of Kori Withers. Also, I forgot to mention that there's an incredibly thrilling documentary around from a festival in Zaire in 1974; it's called "Soul Power," and it stars Muhammad Ali (talking some heavyweight truth), James Brown, Celia Cruz, B.B. King, Miriam Makeba, Hugh Masekela, Bill Withers, and many more. The scene at the beginning would cause extreme consternation among airline personnel if it took place today! You can read about the film and find out where it's playing at www.sonyclassics.com/soulpower/site.html.

post-3606-1256534853_thumb.jpg

Edited by musicmargaret

Well, that's not Kori Withers, folks. I'll try to attach a photo of Kori Withers. But if anyone has or can get an Email address for Damani Baker and / or Alex Vlack, we'd like to get in touch. Also, I forgot to mention that there's an incredibly thrilling documentary around from a festival in Zaire in 1974; it's called "Soul Power," and it stars Muhammad Ali (talking some heavyweight truth), James Brown, Celia Cruz, B.B. King, Miriam Makeba, Hugh Masekela, Bill Withers, and many more. The scene at the beginning would cause extreme consternation among airline personnel if it took place today! You can read about the film and find out where it's playing at www.sonyclassics.com/soulpower/site.html.

That movie is wonderful; Ray Barretto appears with the Fania All Stars (and Celia Cruz).

I recently saw this on a double bill at a local revival theater. I wanted to see the second feature Wattstax, the documentary of the 1972 concert at the LA Colesium. Soul Power was so good that Wattstax was a bit of a letdown (still very enjoyable). Wattstax intercuts with Richard Pryor doing some jokes at a bar. The sequences in Soul Power with Ali were more entertaining (and enlightening).

The audience really dug Bill Withers.

• 2 years later...