New Brian Lynch

Dan Gould

Brian Lynch Quartet, Fuchsia/Red (Cellar Live, http://www.cellarlive.com )

I'd heard about the Charles McPherson CD on this label but when I heard they had an upcoming release from Brian Lynch I decided to wait and order both at one time. I knew that he'd recorded with a Fender Rhodes but not being the kneejerk reactionary hardbop is ( ;) ) I figured I'd give it a shot.

Can't say as I love it, but as I listened I have to say that it had me thinking that this might be close to what Mogie might have done, had he lived. I mean, Brian's always had a lot of Morgan in his playing, and the Rhodes gives it that 70s feel, so it might appeal to people on that basis.

Generally, my reaction is that I am at best ambivalent about the accompaniment-I tended to zone out whenever Lynch wasn't playing but when Brian came back in, more often then not it snapped me back into what was going on. Part of the problem might be the long tunes-10 to 15 minutes each, which with the lack of clear structure have a way of noodling off into nothing much. But I still dig Brian's playing and recommend it on that basis, and those of you who dig the Fender will probably dig this one more than I did.

Edited by Dan Gould

Thanks-I'm sending my check off as I type.

FWIW, Marc also told me that he's got a new Tardo Hammer session in the can which he thinks is his best to date, plus what promises to be a killer date, Jim Rotondi is the leader with alto ace Jesse Davis and a rhythm section of Hazeltine, Drummond and Farnsworth.

Can't wait for that one!