How do make those whaky avatars?

Guest ariceffron

Guest ariceffron

ie. that cool struttin' one- how did you make the photo look like the car was completely there? you cant do that in micosoft paintbox-- what the hell. those things are awsome. we need to do the complete blue note discography in them. i want to think of a few good ones myself if thats ok

both Jeff and myself are using Adobe Photoshop 7 w/ ImageReady. The ImageReady you need for the animations. It doesn't allow for intensive work on pics. The main work has be done in Photoshop. There are several tools which you can use. Compared to PhShop6 PhShop 7 is WAY better in this respect. Besides a stamp tool, which lets you copy part of a photo and paste them elsewhere in the same photo, there now is a "healing brush" which does the same but keeps several settings from the original part (the part you are pasting over), like balance, brightness, and contrast intact. Then there is the awesome "patch tool" with which you can do the opposite: You can copy balance, brightness, and contrast settings from any place in the pic and put it onto any other place. This is ideal for making your crude stamping fit in with the background. If you look closely to the LightFoot cover I did (the big version) you can see that the pattern in the stones repeats itself. That's because of the use of the stamp and patch tools. With some skill you can mask anything you like or wipe out any part you don't like.

One of the most important features of PhShop is of course that you work in layers. You make one layer with a (restored) background. You cut out (restored) cars and people and put them in their own layer. You can move the layers independently of eachother. So you don't have to do the same work over and over again for each animation frame.

I haven't seen Photoshop 7 yet. I'm still working with 6. I'm still far from mastering it. Not using it on a daily basis, I only discover certain utilitities or posibilities when the need arises...

The healing tool sounds incredible! I may have to look into the upgrade. You guys have done some great stuff with the BN covers.