BFT 64 Disc 2 Answers

Dan Gould

Didn't get to have as much fun with the Gene/Not Gene section but thanks to those who did play along. :g In fact, Disc 2 really sort of fell by the wayside as the relatively few participants in the discussion of disc 1 became even fewer with disc 2 as two of them never had time to post about this one. Such is life.

1. Dick Clark – The Way Gene Would Groove It

Just Blues, Reflections of the Artistry of Gene Harris (Clark Group Productions)

Clark, all instruments, recorded on Kawai Digital Grand piano

Nope, its not that Dick Clark. In fact, according to his page on CD Baby, Clark is quite the triple threat - in addition to recording all parts of this CD on his Kawai Digital Grand Piano, Clark also heads a promotion company. This isn't the first tribute CD he's self-produced either - CD Baby has his Oscar Peterson tribute as well. :unsure:

A lot of people hated the recording quality particularly the drums. As to the performance, some liked it, most couldn't get past the hotness of the recording. For me it was pretty obviously a rather superficial approximation of a Gene Groove. And he'd never allow a recording to go out sounding that "hot". Therefore the correct answer was not Gene. :g

2. Three Sounds, Cute (Neil Hefti)

Three Sounds, Beautiful Friendship (Limelight)

Gene Harris, piano

Andy Simpkins, bass,

Bill Dowdy drums

unidentified big band

Harold got this one - not sure if he was specifically thinking of this Three Sounds LP - but Jim Sangrey had an interesting comment

Sounds UK or Euro in the recording and arranging, sounds like the Kelley/PC/Cobb trio in soloing.

For what it's worth, Julian Lee of Australia was the arranger for both Limelight albums that matched The Sounds with a larger group. Of course, I have no idea what he meant by sounding UK or Euro in the arranging, but then again, as I said in Disc 1, "This Joint's Too Hip For Me". :g

3. Three More Sounds – John Brown’s Body (traditional)

A Musical Tribute to Gene Harris (BP)

Bobby Pierce, piano, Carl Burnett, drums, Henry Franklin, bass

I finally got this CD via half.com just before Christmas and found it highly enjoyable. Interesting to hear Bobby Pierce on piano, along with two late-era members of the Three Sounds. I don't think they tag the ending too long at all. :g

4. Ray Brown Trio, You Don’t Know Me

Live in CA circa 1987

Gene Harris, piano,

Ray Brown, bass

Jeff Hamilton, drums

Jim was right that this is a GH boot - I found this recording on a site advertising some type of microphone. They wanted to give an example of the kind of sound guys who sneak recording devices into clubs could get. What I got out of it is what I consider an all-time Gene Harris/Ray Brown performance, equaling or surpassing his official recording of "Summertime". If some part of you doesn't start moving and keep moving from about 8:30 to the end of this one, you have to be dead.

5. Tad Weed, I’m Walkin’ (Fats Domino)

A tribute to Gene Harris (All Story Records)

Weed, piano

Our final Gene/Not Gene track may be a surprise to some, as Weed is apparently much better known as a more avant type of player. But he is a Michigan guy, and so was Gene, and so he put together a very nice tribute disc that I am glad I own. He definitely shows he has chops to spare and does a very nice job with a program inspired by GH.

6. Houston Person – Ron Carter, Meditation (Jobim)

Just Between Friends (HighNote)

I came oh so close to picking "Blueberry Hill" from this CD as a match with "I'm Walkin'" but finally switched in the belief (implied by the liners) that a bass and tenor playing a bossa was a challenging proposition. Regardless, Houston Person and Ron Carter are a match made in heaven and I recommend any of their duo recordings.

7. Ryan Kisor, The Sidewinder (Lee Morgan)

The Sidewinder (Video Arts)

Sam Yahel, organ, Peter Bernstein, guitar, Willie Jones III, drums

I really thought that "The Sidewinder" played with organ would throw some people off, but most got this one. I should probably find an image of the "sexyass leg cover" as Jim described it. :g

8. Tete Montoliu – Autumn Leaves

I Wanna Talk About You (Steeplechase)

With Hank Mobley, tenor sax, George Mraz and Al Foster

Well, here is the "surprise" of this disc - as I presume most of you know, this was Hank Mobley's final recording, from 1980. It was set up as a sort of audition for a possible contract with Steeplechase, having him sit in during a Tete Montoliu trio session but it was decided that Hank's playing wasn't good enough. When Steeplechase put Montoliu's recording out on CD, they added this as it was apparently the one tune Hank recorded that was regarded as worthy of release.

I honestly thought Hank's tone was recognizable enough, but only Jim S. recognized it. Some of you may recall a lengthy discussion way back when of the picture of a balding Hank that was included in the insert of the CD, as some of us used Hank's eyes as a window into his soul.

The unextinguishably soulful Hank Mobley.

9. Jack Walrath – Lil’ Stinker (Walrath)

A Plea for Sanity (Stash)

Walrath, trumpet, Michael Cochrane, piano, Anthony Cox, bass

Not a terribly popular track, but I wanted to go with something with a little different instrumentation, and Michael Cochrane on piano is always a bonus as far as I am concerned!

10. Dexter Gordon & Al Cohn – On The Trail

Silver Blue (Xanadu)

Dex and Al - a classic combination, one of the great recordings in each discography, imho. As I mentioned, this is available from the Andorrans, and if I had to buy one of their releases, this would be it. The Silver Blue and True Blue sessions are excellent.

11. Rob Schneiderman – Smoke Screen (Lynch)

Dark Blue (Reservoir)

Schneiderman, piano

Brian Lynch, trumpet

Ralph Moore tenor sax

Lewis Nash, drums

Peter Washington bass

Another one of those moody, late-night blues that I love so much to wrap things up.

Thanks again to everyone, and even though the answers are now posted, I do hope that the half dozen folks who asked for downloads but didn't participate will still take the time to post in the discussion threads, even if they've read through the answers.

Edited by Dan Gould

Wow... shocked that I hated Carl Burnett so much on track 3 -- so much so that I went back and listened again. Bobby Pierce is ripping on this, though. Two Henry Franklin appearances in back-to-back BFTs and I miss them both. I'm going to poke myself in the eye by way of retribution.

Missing Mobley on track 9 really pains me.

We agree on Michael Cochrane -- love him on Hannibal's record, reminds me of Hicks a lot.

The Houston Person track reminds me that I had heard him on the radio recently in a duet setting, and was very impressed. I think that was a tenor/piano duet, though. I need to check out his recent discography in more detail.

Good stuff, Dan. Thanks again.

Guest Bill Barton

Thanks for a very enjoyable BFT, Dan. I'll have to hunt down that Houston Person/Ron Carter recording. Lovely stuff...

And it was interesting to find out that Dex and Al Cohn had recorded in unaccompanied duo format. I didn't remember that it had ever happened, although I do believe that one of the radio stations I worked at back in the late 1970s-early 1980s had that Xanadu release. It's been ages since I've heard it.

Edited by Bill Barton

Didn't get to have as much fun with the Gene/Not Gene section but thanks to those who did play along. :g In fact, Disc 2 really sort of fell by the wayside as the relatively few participants in the discussion of disc 1 became even fewer with disc 2 as two of them never had time to post about this one. Such is life.

1. Dick Clark – The Way Gene Would Groove It

Just Blues, Reflections of the Artistry of Gene Harris (Clark Group Productions)

Clark, all instruments, recorded on Kawai Digital Grand piano

Nope, its not that Dick Clark. In fact, according to his page on CD Baby, Clark is quite the triple threat - in addition to recording all parts of this CD on his Kawai Digital Grand Piano, Clark also heads a promotion company. This isn't the first tribute CD he's self-produced either - CD Baby has his Oscar Peterson tribute as well. :unsure:

A lot of people hated the recording quality particularly the drums. As to the performance, some liked it, most couldn't get past the hotness of the recording. For me it was pretty obviously a rather superficial approximation of a Gene Groove. And he'd never allow a recording to go out sounding that "hot". Therefore the correct answer was not Gene. :g

2. Three Sounds, Cute (Neil Hefti)

Three Sounds, Beautiful Friendship (Limelight)

Gene Harris, piano

Andy Simpkins, bass,

Bill Dowdy drums

unidentified big band

Harold got this one - not sure if he was specifically thinking of this Three Sounds LP - but Jim Sangrey had an interesting comment

Sounds UK or Euro in the recording and arranging, sounds like the Kelley/PC/Cobb trio in soloing.

For what it's worth, Julian Lee of Australia was the arranger for both Limelight albums that matched The Sounds with a larger group. Of course, I have no idea what he meant by sounding UK or Euro in the arranging, but then again, as I said in Disc 1, "This Joint's Too Hip For Me". :g

3. Three More Sounds – John Brown’s Body (traditional)

A Musical Tribute to Gene Harris (BP)

Bobby Pierce, piano, Carl Burnett, drums, Henry Franklin, bass

I finally got this CD via half.com just before Christmas and found it highly enjoyable. Interesting to hear Bobby Pierce on piano, along with two late-era members of the Three Sounds. I don't think they tag the ending too long at all. :g

4. Ray Brown Trio, You Don’t Know Me

Live in CA circa 1987

Gene Harris, piano,

Ray Brown, bass

Jeff Hamilton, drums

Jim was right that this is a GH boot - I found this recording on a site advertising some type of microphone. They wanted to give an example of the kind of sound guys who sneak recording devices into clubs could get. What I got out of it is what I consider an all-time Gene Harris/Ray Brown performance, equaling or surpassing his official recording of "Summertime". If some part of you doesn't start moving and keep moving from about 8:30 to the end of this one, you have to be dead.

5. Tad Weed, I’m Walkin’ (Fats Domino)

A tribute to Gene Harris (All Story Records)

Weed, piano

Our final Gene/Not Gene track may be a surprise to some, as Weed is apparently much better known as a more avant type of player. But he is a Michigan guy, and so was Gene, and so he put together a very nice tribute disc that I am glad I own. He definitely shows he has chops to spare and does a very nice job with a program inspired by GH.

6. Houston Person – Ron Carter, Meditation (Jobim)

Just Between Friends (HighNote)

I came oh so close to picking "Blueberry Hill" from this CD as a match with "I'm Walkin'" but finally switched in the belief (implied by the liners) that a bass and tenor playing a bossa was a challenging proposition. Regardless, Houston Person and Ron Carter are a match made in heaven and I recommend any of their duo recordings.

7. Ryan Kisor, The Sidewinder (Lee Morgan)

The Sidewinder (Video Arts)

Sam Yahel, organ, Peter Bernstein, guitar, Willie Jones III, drums

I really thought that "The Sidewinder" played with organ would throw some people off, but most got this one. I should probably find an image of the "sexyass leg cover" as Jim described it. :g

8. Tete Montoliu – Autumn Leaves

I Wanna Talk About You (Steeplechase)

With Hank Mobley, tenor sax, George Mraz and Al Foster

Well, here is the "surprise" of this disc - as I presume most of you know, this was Hank Mobley's final recording, from 1980. It was set up as a sort of audition for a possible contract with Steeplechase, having him sit in during a Tete Montoliu trio session but it was decided that Hank's playing wasn't good enough. When Steeplechase put Montoliu's recording out on CD, they added this as it was apparently the one tune Hank recorded that was regarded as worthy of release.

I honestly thought Hank's tone was recognizable enough, but only Jim S. recognized it. Some of you may recall a lengthy discussion way back when of the picture of a balding Hank that was included in the insert of the CD, as some of us used Hank's eyes as a window into his soul.

The unextinguishably soulful Hank Mobley.

9. Jack Walrath – Lil’ Stinker (Walrath)

A Plea for Sanity (Stash)

Walrath, trumpet, Michael Cochrane, piano, Anthony Cox, bass

Not a terribly popular track, but I wanted to go with something with a little different instrumentation, and Michael Cochrane on piano is always a bonus as far as I am concerned!

10. Dexter Gordon & Al Cohn – On The Trail

Silver Blue (Xanadu)

Dex and Al - a classic combination, one of the great recordings in each discography, imho. As I mentioned, this is available from the Andorrans, and if I had to buy one of their releases, this would be it. The Silver Blue and True Blue sessions are excellent.

11. Rob Schneiderman – Smoke Screen (Lynch)

Dark Blue (Reservoir)

Schneiderman, piano

Brian Lynch, trumpet

Ralph Moore tenor sax

Lewis Nash, drums

Peter Washington bass

Another one of those moody, late-night blues that I love so much to wrap things up.

Thanks again to everyone, and even though the answers are now posted, I do hope that the half dozen folks who asked for downloads but didn't participate will still take the time to post in the discussion threads, even if they've read through the answers.

#1-5 (gene/not gene). 4 outta 5. not bad. i guess that big band setting for gene threw me off. i hadn't heard him in that context before. i guess McConnell lifted a lot of stuff from Hefti's arranging bag (who didn't?). i really thought that was the Boss Brass. and that version of "You Don't Know Me" is just amazing.

#6. i've heard Person live but don't own any recordings by him. excellent player. i guess i'm the only one here who didn't particularly care for Carter's playing on this one?

#7. yeah - Bernstein is the man. i really thought this was Stewart on drums. i'm not too hot on kisor's playing here. oh well.

#8. Mobley is awesome but i'm not surprised i didn't recognize him. i haven't spent that much time w/ him. but it's wild that i thought this was a baritone player. interesting...

#10. thanks so much for turning me onto this Dan. awesome.

great job Dan. thanks again.