New releases and reissues on SACD?

David Ayers

As far as classical music goes there is a pretty steady stream of new release SACDs from many independents if rarely now from the majors. I'm much less sure what is around for jazz in this format, whether as new release or as reissue. Does anybody know what is out there, and what do you recommend? I'm mainly interested in in-print and easy-to-find issues, not OOP, costly niche-market etc, and I am only interested in significant music, not 'audiophile' releases. Thanks for any tips!

PS I'd be mostly interested to know about new releases: I've gone (entirely) cold on endless Blue Train reissues etc., though I'd still appreciate recommendations and warnings as to sound quality in this area too.

Oh and I still don't understand what all these weird formats being pushed in Japan are...

Edited by David Ayers

• 2 weeks later...

I had to laugh when I saw this comment from someone over at Hoffman re: the upcoming BN XRCDs:

"In the middle of a recession there is a flood of audiophile reissues in all formats, even in despised ones, like CD."

No kidding --- so we've got the 45-rpm Music Matters and AP vinyl.....BN SACDs, BN XRCDs.......and of course, overseas we've got Toshiba rolling right along with the best of 'em, preparing to churn out the TOCJ-8000 series......

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen