Conga drums

Big Wheel

So I was in this funky bar in SF this weekend and these local dudes, mostly Cuban I think, were playing guaguanco inside. 3 congueros, chekere, some other random sticks and blocks and shakers, plus a coro. Anyway...I'm thinking I might have the bug again to learn this stuff (I know the basic tumbaos and montunos on piano, but never really learned to understand the music inside and out). I kind of have the sense that mastering Afro-Cuban styles starting with salsa piano is kind of like trying to build the Great Pyramid starting at the top of the pyramid.

So this time, I'm thinking I should get a drum. What's a reasonable price to pay for an entry level, but decent tumba or conga? And how much maintenance does it need? Is there a size I should start on?

Edited by Big Wheel

Try to find a local drum builder - the guys you saw should know some. You can get cheap drums with fiber shells but a good wooden shell sounds better. No idea what prices in the US are - but I would start with a medium priced drum and a true cowhide, not the cheap water buffalo skins that most budget name brands are furnished with.

Try http://www.mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/ - this is a forum with many US Latinos participating.

Guest Bill Barton

And thanks from me as well, Mike, I just happened upon this thread and - being an amateur percussionist - was very happy to find a forum like this one.

A pair of congas will run you about $400.

I recently got some bongos, made in India, for about $80. They have a terrific sound, and are good with sticks and brushes, as a micro drum kit.

I have a friend in India who tells me they have triple congas there.