The Jazz Century Museum show in Paris

Adam

Closes soon. I'm here on vacation, and intend to see it tomorrow. Anyone else go?

http://www.quaibranly.fr/en/programmation/...tury/index.html

garden Gallery

from 17 March to 28 June 2009

curator: Daniel Soutif

Jazz, along with the cinema and rock music, stands as one of the major artistic events of the 20th century. The sounds and rhythms of this hybrid musical style have made their mark on world culture.

The exhibition, created by the philosopher and art critic Daniel Soutif, presents the relationship between jazz and the graphic arts chronologically throughout the entire 20th century. From painting to photography, cinema to literature, not forgetting graphic design or comics, the exhibition pays particular attention to the development of jazz in Europe and France during the 1930s and 40s.

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's arranged on a timeline, focusing on graphic design and influence on other arts, with plenty of early sheet music, advertisements (including for some Storyville brothels), record covers, magazine covers and photography, paintings, literature/journalism, and lots of film clips. The film clips are musical, and as you move further into the exhibition you hear more and more of them, building to a sort of soft and joyful cacaphony. Very well done.

I also generally liked it. i could see limitations if one is familiar with much of this material already, and I think there was an over-reliance on album covers. I did appreciate the grouping of covers by artist though - to have six Warhol covers all together was very nice.

I appreciated more though the early art, covers from albums of 78s, and posters that I had never seen. The ceaseless racism of the art continues to astound.

It was also marvelous to see the original painting featured on Steve Lacy's "the Forest and the Zoo" and to learn that the album cover flipped the painting.