Katanga - Ugandan City

BeBop

Continuing with my self-indulgence, I plant another breadcrumb. (There are other threads out there - also of no value - posted during my "Night in Tunisia" and time in Ruwenzori.)

Not my first trip to Uganda, but my first to Katanga. Hard not to think of the album/song with the name of this place. Unfortunately, not on my portable music player, and a high-speed connection in Uganda is but a dream.

Pretty hard-scrabble place. I guess that goes without saying, or I wouldn't be here. But the people fall squarely in the "asset" column. (This certainly isn't always the case - plenty of human liabilities out there, often in government positions.)

Somehow, I can't shake the idea that someone sharing this 'net connection is - at this very moment! - e-mailing one of you about the now-deceased prime minister with 8,000,000,000 Ugandan Schillings (about a buck and a half, U.S.) in his account that he needs your help to expatriate...

Coming here directly from South Africa, it's hard to miss the contrasts. No jazz. No electricity (aside from diesel generators and such.)

Edited by BeBop

Thank you. Learn something new every day. I've been to both of the "Congos" (Republic of...and Democratic Republic of...) without realizing this bit of history. I suppose I find myself more attuned to today's crises than those of even a short while ago, historically speaking. But it's important not to lose history. So I appreciate the edification.

As I left the internet cafe yesterday, the counterman joined me out the door. I wasn't sure why, other than, perhaps to talk. As it turned out, he wanted to make sure that I reached a safe place; it was clear that the riots of the past few days were coming to life again. As it turned out, I was safe before the violence re-erupted. News

It really is a sticky situation in Kampala right now. When I was there last September, an Indian was involved in a traffic accident that either seriously injured or killed an Ugandan, and the crowd beat him to death. A lot of trouble between people from India and Ugandans. I've been to Uganda three times this year, and mainly deal with people from the Buganda tribe, who are very touchy over any perceived slight. The cities I frequent are Kyengeza (which is in the middle of the Buganda area) and Jinja (source of the Nile), sometimes Kampala, but I try to get out of there as fast as possible! It is the craziest place I've ever been to. You're right though, the people are great, and it's been an eye-opening experience to live with no electricity, no hot water, and every meal involves matoke. Now,the tribes from the north are a whole different story, kind of infamous as they make up the vast majority of the private security forces that everyone hires.

Edited by Matthew

Looking out the window.

From Monitor Online News:

At least 550 people have so far been arrested in connection to the riots that have, for three days, affected business in Kampala city and claimed 14 lives, police announced yesterday.

Police also warned that the arrest the hunt for the ring leaders was still ongoing.

“I can tell you that we are still arresting, this is not all, we are going to arrest more,” the Inspector General of Police Gen. Kale Kayihura told journalist yesterday at the CID headquarters in Kampala, adding that 83 of the suspects have been charged in court.

The Police chief also said that the rioters had retreated to the suburbs describing the mayhem as pre-planned by ill intentioned and malicious characters.

“There has been orchestrated violence and lawlessness in the suburbs of Kampala this (Saturday) morning; surburbs like Nateete,Kyengera,Kamwokya and Kireka have experienced sporadic incidents of hooliganism and brief episodes of disturbances,”Mr Kayihura said.

Whole Story