L/F: Michel Petrucciani Box sets

jazzkrow

I've been thinking of purchasing a Petrucciani box set to fill in my lack of his music.

I've seen the Dreyfus set around at over $100 and the Blue Note box for much less.

Of course, the Dreyfus set is much larger and includes DVDs.

Anyone have these, and can recommend something, with a online site with decent prices?

The Dreyfus set may be overkill as it covers 10+ CDs.

Suggestions?

I don't know his Dreyfus recordings... you'll see that he hasn't got many friends here... I'm a bit torn myself.

I got the BN set at a used store (way overpriced, but that was when I was still in high school, knew nothing about the internet and had no credit card...) and honestly, you won't need all that's in there... probably "Power of Three" and "Promenade with Duke" would do. The two Elektra (?) albums that Blue Note released (I think around 2000) are both pretty nice (one solo, one trio).

And the Owl album with Lee Konitz is definitely worth getting!

There's another Owl disc out that I have, a trio set, good one, too.

I guess that's more an answer for a recommendations thread, rather than an offering/looking for... but hey...

Owl also has a 2CD best of, which picks tracks from his four or five discs for the label - I haven't checked that one out, but my guess is the duo with Lee Konitz is a better pick anyway.

Thanks!

The Owl with Konitz is the only Petrucciani one I already own.

Wise advice you gave.

Just curious which period-Blue Note vs. Dreyfus that most people seem to prefer.

I'm sure it's just a matter of taste unless there is a more universal opinion.

I saw that Dreyfus is putting out a 5 disc box next month.

should wait for that one to decide.....