My TOP 5

scottb

I just got BOSS TENORS IN ORBIT from BMG. This is by far the UGLIEST CD I own. I have just about decided not to buy any more Verve issues because the packaging sucks!!!

Here's my top reasons why.

1. They shrink the cover art to "embellish" it with some kind of psycho drug trip border. (Is this supposed to make the music more attractive to young listeners?)

2. The art work inside. Text going every which way, colors everywhere - it's just too busy!)

3. Paper package - less durable, no option to switch out case if something happened to it

4. Trifold design - more difficult to open without two hands availabe, especially in the car.

5. "Secret" opening which allows the insert to fall out (and get lost) if the package is not held level at all tiimes.

Good points, Scott!

I get frustrated with the microscopic liner notes that blend in with a similar color background. I've given up on trying to read some of those.

I just hate digipacks, period. I'm too uptight to just put them on the shelf. I always make sure to put them in those resealable plastic sleaves as soon as I open them.

:tdown

Yeah, that 'Boss Tenors From Orbit' Master Edition has one UGLY album cover! Another one is the 'Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Carmen McRae at Newport' album. BLECH!!! I don't see why they feel the need to jack with these things the way they do. I mean, it's bad enough that the original LP artwork has to be reduced so much to fit a standard CD case - but they reduce it even further to put a silly border around it! :angry: Hell, why even bother putting the original cover art on it at all at that point?!

Admittedly, some of these don't look half bad...the cover for 'Clifford Brown and Max Roach at Basin Street' looks decent. But the whole concept, to me, is ridiculous.

Africa Brass, where did you get those resealable plastic sleeves you mentioned? I've got a buncha good lookin' Coltrane Impulse releases that could use some protectin'!