BFT 69: Listen and Discuss

Hot Ptah

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer: unbeknownst to Hot Ptah, when he sent me the discs for converting to uploading, the answers revealed themselves on the software I was using. (Apparently, Windows Media Player doesn’t show the answers; RealPlayer and Rhapsody do, and that's what I was using). I only bring this up for two reasons:

1) The ignorance displayed below is genuine. I forgot the answers pretty much as soon as I saw them because I didn’t recognize anything or anybody (except one player, and I’ll likely have forgotten that when I get to that track).

2) If by chance I DO get something correct, it’s a fluke and not because I had the list in front of me.

That outta the way, let’s get into this!

Track 1: Sounds like a drummer-led big band, but no clue as to who the drummer is. I wanna say Gene Krupa just because it reminds me of the Gerry Mulligan album he did for Verve, but it’s not from that. Very nice way to start a BFT!

Track 2: My first thought was something from Russell Gunn’s ETHNOMUSICOLOGY, but I don’t remember any ensembles like this. This track reminds this old rocker that you can make any matter of cacophonous racket, but as Marion Brown’s “Spooks” proved, if it’s got a good beat and I can groove to it, BRING IT ON!!!! I just wish the mix was a little higher, but oh well!

Track 3: If this is from Fats Waller’s solo piano solo record that Bluebird put out on a 2-LP set some years back, which I used to own..... in the words of Paul Desmond, “I may shoot myself!”

Track 4: Well, the obvious guess would be the Hot Club of France, which means it can’t be the Hot Club of France. But you knew that I would think it WASN’T the Hot Club of France, so you deliberately put a HCoF track on here to trick me, so I clearly have to guess the HCoF. But you were counting on my deep sense of trickery and tomfoolery in a BFT, so I clearly cannot guess the HCoF. But then, you also had to realize that I never get any tracks right on a BFT, so I clearly have to guess the HCoF. Now, where was I? Oh yes, Australia, which we all know is.... hey, is that a Rodent of Unusual Size???? :D

Track 5: See the previous guess, but substitute Earl Hines for the Hot Club of France. Inconceivable!!!

Track 6: Starts off sounding like the opening theme to the PowerPuff Girls. Deeper in. it sounds like some latter-day Airto/Flora and/or Dom Um Ramao. Just when I think it’s gonna lose me, something else grabs my attention: is that Gabor Szabo on the guitar?

Track 7: See track 4, but substitute Monk for the HCoF. Never get involved in a land deal with a Cicilian.

Track 8: A chicken? Why a chicken? Why not a duck? Love the groove, though! What is this, “Jazz Impressions of Old MacDonald?” :lol:

Track 9: Augh! Where have I heard this before? One of the Lee Konitz Duets? Nope, here comes the band and the fidelity suggests something recent. My my my whatta KILLER groove!!! Bari sax is kickin’ it and that has to be the filthiest guitar solo on a jazz record! LOVE it!!!

Track 10: “Angel Eyes?” One of the strangest sounding grooves I’ve ever heard, but the emphasis is on the groove so it’s alright with me!

Track 11: Wait wait wait... I gotta start this again. This is too pretty to just go by. OH, what a beautiful intro!!! And the rest of the song is just as gorgeous. I wanna guess Vince Guaraldi just because it sounds like something he might do.

Track 12: Ahhhh! Another big band! Sounds like early 30’s. Maybe a Louis Armstrong or Earl Hines big band? Roy Eldridge on the trumpet? I’m just throwing out names here....

Track 13: Alright, I’ve listened to this twice and it just isn’t making an impression on me. Sorry.

Track 14: "Hey Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucy! Come down offa that ledge! There's stormy weather outside!"

Track 15: Another one that lost my interest. Sorry.

Track 16: Ah crap. I know I said I don’t have any of these or that none of the answers jumped out at me when I glanced at ‘em. But I know I have.... I have..... ah shit, I have the blues. Never mind. Is this the Count with Joe? Arrrrgghhh!!! What are you, the Dread Pirate Robert or something? See track 4. AGAIN!!! What’s worse is that this just exposes how clueless about even the most obvious tracks I am! INCONTHEEEEEVABLE!!! :D :D :D

Oh I am having a blast, and hope everyone knows what movie I keep referring to! Onto "disc 2!"

Cool selection of music. I know several of these, so don't read further if you don't want to know....

1. This is probably somebody pretty good (it sounds vaguely Ellington-ish), but it reeks of show biz. I didn’t much care for the constant backbeat and repetitious riffs.

2. I’ve never heard this before, but by process of elimination I think it must be from Kenny Garrett’s first Atlantic album, the one with Miles Davis guesting. The writing and playing is excellent and imaginative, but the simplistic bass line and hyperactive funk beat wore me down. Can’t have too much Miles, though.

3. This is more like it. James P. Johnson playing “You’ve Got to Be Modernistic.” I like the way he starts very energetically, but still manages to build up even more steam by the end. Fabulous!

4. This is a great blindfold test selection, because a lot of people are going to hear this and think they know who it is. And most of them will be half right. It’s “Somebody Loves Me” played by Django Reinhardt, but not Stephane Grappelli. It’s the great Eddie South. South had a rounder, richer, more “classical” tone than Grappelli, even if he didn’t swing as hard. I love all the modulations. This is just lovely music.

5. You got me. This strikes me as a good, but not great pianist who has a good awareness of the history of jazz piano. Pretty heavy foot on the sustain pedal.

6. Interesting, in a kind of highly processed way. The put-together-in-the-studio feel of this turned me off. It’s just a prejudice of mine – samplers, drum machines, and sequencers are just musical tools, as are trombones and saxophones, but in my experience the more of the former type tools you use to create a piece of music, the less alive it tends to be. I miss a sense of human interaction in this. The trombone player is excellent, even if the setting detracts from what he is doing, in my opinion. Lots of nice colors in this one, though. And if anyone says that my reservations about this are just my own hangup, I’m not going to argue with them.

7. “Crepescule With Nellie,” but not by Monk – someone with a smoother technique. It’s nice, though. Playing Monk is a balancing act – the music has to retain its Monastic quality, but you also want to put your own personality into it. This is beautifully done.

8. Interesting, fun music. Great electric bass. (Or basses – there are two. ) I have no idea what the overdubbed sounds are about. Don’t know who it could be.

9. My first thought was the Microscopic Septet. (But where’d that guitar come from?) Excellent bari solo and fun multi-section piece, whoever it is. All the saxists sound good.

10. Sun Ra on one of his cheesy keyboards. The trumpet solo might be by Michael Ray, and the tenor is definitely John Gilmore. A basically simple piece, as many of Ra’s best tracks are.

11. Nice enough, but doesn’t really reach me. I would have liked to hear this build to something else. These are excellent musicians, though, playing tastefully.

12. One of the great late-twenties big band records: Charlie Johnson and His Orchestra playing, “The Boy in the Boat.” Jimmy Harrison is on trombone and Sidney DeParis is doing that nasty plunger trumpet. I don’t remember who the clarinet soloist is. Primo stuff.

13. Wow – this is great! I don’t know who or what it is except that it sounds like Lester Bowie on trumpet. Very cool rhythmic stuff during the piano solo – the whole piano solo is fabulous!

14. Jeez – what the hell is this? Could it be a contingent of the Kenton band or something like that? Odd and interesting.

15. Don’t have a clue. Is this a Western swing band rather than a conventional jazz band? Nice enough; not earth-shattering.

16. B.B. King of course, with a studio big band. I know there was session billed as B. B. with the Duke Ellington Orchestra, but it’s not really, of course. Don't know if this is from that session, but it's mighty tasty. I love the sax section lick about four minutes in – the Ray Charles “Rockhouse” lick. I wish they had let B. play his guitar, though.

Enjoyed listening - even the ones I don't really like are interesting. Thanks especially for track 13. Looking forward to part two.

Edited by jeffcrom

Disc 1 -

You guys aren't giving tk. 11 a chance! ;)

[singsong] I know who (and what) it is, and I'm not gonna tell! [/singsong]

tk. 8 has to be Hermeto Pascoal - but I'm not sure which album. (Maybe A Musica Livre de Hermeto Pascoal, or else Zabumbê-bum-á - but ??? I'm just guessing!)

tk. 11 is Tommy Flanagan, "Você Abuso," from his album Jazz Poet (Timeless)

tk 16 is definitely the Basie band's chart, but *is* it Basie? [:tearhair:]

Edited to add: drat drat drat!!! The 1st CD has only has 4-5 seconds each of the 1st 7 cuts - wha???

Edited by seeline

Disc 1 -

tk. 8 has to be Hermeto Pascoal - but I'm not sure which album. (Maybe A Musica Livre de Hermeto Pascoal, or else Zabumbê-bum-á - but ??? I'm just guessing!)

Edited to add: drat drat drat!!! The 1st CD has only has 4-5 seconds each of the 1st 7 cuts - wha???

We will get you a replacement for Disc 1, so that you have the complete first 7 cuts.

Disclaimer: unbeknownst to Hot Ptah, when he sent me the discs for converting to uploading, the answers revealed themselves on the software I was using. (Apparently, Windows Media Player doesn’t show the answers; RealPlayer and Rhapsody do, and that's what I was using). I only bring this up for two reasons:

1) The ignorance displayed below is genuine. I forgot the answers pretty much as soon as I saw them because I didn’t recognize anything or anybody (except one player, and I’ll likely have forgotten that when I get to that track).

2) If by chance I DO get something correct, it’s a fluke and not because I had the list in front of me.

That outta the way, let’s get into this!

Track 1: Sounds like a drummer-led big band, but no clue as to who the drummer is. I wanna say Gene Krupa just because it reminds me of the Gerry Mulligan album he did for Verve, but it’s not from that. Very nice way to start a BFT!

Track 2: My first thought was something from Russell Gunn’s ETHNOMUSICOLOGY, but I don’t remember any ensembles like this. This track reminds this old rocker that you can make any matter of cacophonous racket, but as Marion Brown’s “Spooks” proved, if it’s got a good beat and I can groove to it, BRING IT ON!!!! I just wish the mix was a little higher, but oh well!

Track 3: If this is from Fats Waller’s solo piano solo record that Bluebird put out on a 2-LP set some years back, which I used to own..... in the words of Paul Desmond, “I may shoot myself!”

Track 4: Well, the obvious guess would be the Hot Club of France, which means it can’t be the Hot Club of France. But you knew that I would think it WASN’T the Hot Club of France, so you deliberately put a HCoF track on here to trick me, so I clearly have to guess the HCoF. But you were counting on my deep sense of trickery and tomfoolery in a BFT, so I clearly cannot guess the HCoF. But then, you also had to realize that I never get any tracks right on a BFT, so I clearly have to guess the HCoF. Now, where was I? Oh yes, Australia, which we all know is.... hey, is that a Rodent of Unusual Size???? :D

Track 5: See the previous guess, but substitute Earl Hines for the Hot Club of France. Inconceivable!!!

Track 6: Starts off sounding like the opening theme to the PowerPuff Girls. Deeper in. it sounds like some latter-day Airto/Flora and/or Dom Um Ramao. Just when I think it’s gonna lose me, something else grabs my attention: is that Gabor Szabo on the guitar?

Track 7: See track 4, but substitute Monk for the HCoF. Never get involved in a land deal with a Cicilian.

Track 8: A chicken? Why a chicken? Why not a duck? Love the groove, though! What is this, “Jazz Impressions of Old MacDonald?” :lol:

Track 9: Augh! Where have I heard this before? One of the Lee Konitz Duets? Nope, here comes the band and the fidelity suggests something recent. My my my whatta KILLER groove!!! Bari sax is kickin’ it and that has to be the filthiest guitar solo on a jazz record! LOVE it!!!

Track 10: “Angel Eyes?” One of the strangest sounding grooves I’ve ever heard, but the emphasis is on the groove so it’s alright with me!

Track 11: Wait wait wait... I gotta start this again. This is too pretty to just go by. OH, what a beautiful intro!!! And the rest of the song is just as gorgeous. I wanna guess Vince Guaraldi just because it sounds like something he might do.

Track 12: Ahhhh! Another big band! Sounds like early 30’s. Maybe a Louis Armstrong or Earl Hines big band? Roy Eldridge on the trumpet? I’m just throwing out names here....

Track 13: Alright, I’ve listened to this twice and it just isn’t making an impression on me. Sorry.

Track 14: "Hey Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucy! Come down offa that ledge! There's stormy weather outside!"

Track 15: Another one that lost my interest. Sorry.

Track 16: Ah crap. I know I said I don’t have any of these or that none of the answers jumped out at me when I glanced at ‘em. But I know I have.... I have..... ah shit, I have the blues. Never mind. Is this the Count with Joe? Arrrrgghhh!!! What are you, the Dread Pirate Robert or something? See track 4. AGAIN!!! What’s worse is that this just exposes how clueless about even the most obvious tracks I am! INCONTHEEEEEVABLE!!! :D :D :D

Oh I am having a blast, and hope everyone knows what movie I keep referring to! Onto "disc 2!"

Not one of your guesses was correct, but I enjoyed your thoughts on the songs.

Cool selection of music. I know several of these, so don't read further if you don't want to know....

3. This is more like it. James P. Johnson playing “You’ve Got to Be Modernistic.” I like the way he starts very energetically, but still manages to build up even more steam by the end. Fabulous!

bingo-pic2.gif

4. This is a great blindfold test selection, because a lot of people are going to hear this and think they know who it is. And most of them will be half right. It’s “Somebody Loves Me” played by Django Reinhardt, but not Stephane Grappelli. It’s the great Eddie South. South had a rounder, richer, more “classical” tone than Grappelli, even if he didn’t swing as hard. I love all the modulations. This is just lovely music.

bingo-pic2.gif

10. Sun Ra on one of his cheesy keyboards. The trumpet solo might be by Michael Ray, and the tenor is definitely John Gilmore. A basically simple piece, as many of Ra’s best tracks are.

Partly correct.

12. One of the great late-twenties big band records: Charlie Johnson and His Orchestra playing, “The Boy in the Boat.” Jimmy Harrison is on trombone and Sidney DeParis is doing that nasty plunger trumpet. I don’t remember who the clarinet soloist is. Primo stuff.

bingo-pic2.gif

You ARE good!

16. B.B. King of course, with a studio big band. I know there was session billed as B. B. with the Duke Ellington Orchestra, but it’s not really, of course. Don't know if this is from that session, but it's mighty tasty. I love the sax section lick about four minutes in – the Ray Charles “Rockhouse” lick. I wish they had let B. play his guitar, though.

Partly correct.

Enjoyed listening - even the ones I don't really like are interesting. Thanks especially for track 13. Looking forward to part two.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Disc 1 -

No!

bingo-pic2.gif

Ptah, tk. 14 is pretty hilarious! ;)

tk. 8 - ¿¿¿NO???? I will go nuts!!!! * And Hermeto definitely was the man who 1st used farm animal sounds like this... (On A Musica Livre de Hermeto Pascoal.)

technical note: Some of the tracks on disc 2 aren't complete, either. I've had CDs burn incorrectly (like this) and am all too aware that it can happen when you least expect it.

Edited by seeline

Disc One, tk. 7 - Muhal Richard Abrams playing "Crepuscule with Nellie," from Interpretations of Monk, V. 1

Disc Two, tk. 2 is "Flowers for Albert" from The Skatalites' album Hi-Bop Ska, with David Murray on tenor

Disc Two, tk. 8 - Is that Ronnie Cuber on bari? I should be able to place this....

Edited by seeline

Disc One, tk. 7 - Muhal Richard Abrams playing "Crepuscule with Nellie," from Interpretations of Monk, V. 1

Disc Two, tk. 2 is "Flowers for Albert" from The Skatalites' album Hi-Bop Ska, with David Murray on tenor

Disc Two, tk. 8 - Is that Ronnie Cuber on bari? I should be able to place this....

You are correct on Disc One, Track 7--I had wondered if anyone would get this one, as Muhal Richard Abrams is thought of as an avant garde pianist.

Disc Two, Track 2 is also correct--it is the Skatalites with David Murray.

Edited by Hot Ptah

BFT69 VOL 1 PT 1

1 Something reminding me of Ray Anthony or (less likely) Billy May. Nice bootin’ number to get us off the ground. Don’t recognise the tune, but I’ll go for Ray Anthony. Oh, is that Mr Anthony himself with a two second wail at the end?

2 Wow! “Ascension” goes big band! What a sound! This has, if nothing else, reminded me that I should get “Ascension” again. (It would have been great if Trane had had an organ player for that recording.)

No idea who this is. I should be able to recognise the trumpet player but I just can’t be asked. And the pianist! Pooh gosh! The alto player’s on fire, too! And, OF COURSE, the drummer who’s driving them all mad. To judge by the sound of the organist, I’d guess this is European.

Bleedin’ wonderful!!!!

3 Some nice stride piano. I don’t know who it is but I’m going to guess a KC connection and say Jay McShann. Very, very nice.

4 Acoustic guitar & violin. There is so much grace and delight in the violinist’s approach, so I’m going to guess Stephane Grappelli. I think I should buy a lot of this guy, whoever he is. Lovely!

5 Oh, another piano player from the thirties generation. So, who’s this, then? Actually someone a bit younger, as the piece develops with interesting changes of rhythm, pace and direction. This is quite off my chart, but very likeable.

6 Another wild drummer with bongo player and equally wild trombonist. Oh my, that’s a rare groove starting. And then something that ought to be Les Baxter. Ah, it’s Sun Ra! I think this is going to be my next one from the Arkestra. Oh, would he have used sitars? Now some doubt coming in. No, I still think it’s Sun Ra.

7 This one is kind of meandering. I get the same feeling with this as when, on very rare occasions, I play the Mingus piano LP. I know I should be getting more out of it, and I’m reluctant to get rid of it, but it’s not getting through.

8 Completely different, but the noises off initially put me in mind of Le Nimba de N’zerekore’s album “Gon bia bia”. Then I was reminded of Bob James’ “Explosions”. I think they weren’t really necessary – the tenor player has something interesting to say. But I found the background (even the musical background) irritating.

9 This one’s good, but doesn’t really excite me as I expect it should. Maybe I’m just not feeling right for this. Or perhaps it’s the combination of Bebop type tune/arrangement with a somewhat out tenor player. Is the alto player Earl Anderza? I have a definite antipathy to guitar players like that one (except Floyd Smith, of course).

BFT69 VOL 1 PT 2

On to part 2.

10 This one’s not getting through, I’m afraid, though it’s not uninteresting with its stalking bass line – the best bit, for me.

11 I guess an original that sounds as if it’s a jazz adaptation of a popular song or a TV ad. I can’t hear a bass on this. A familiar line or two makes me think I should know the pianist. The left hand comes near to Ray Bryant, but I don’t think it’s him.

12 This sounds as if it ought to be one of those KC bands of the late twenties/early thirties, like Moten or the Blue Devils. But at 3:43, it can’t be. Or could it be a transcription of that white KC band that used to broadcast from Chicago? Can’t remember the name. Ah, Jeter-Pillars. Damn fine trumpeter!

13 Not much in this one for me.

14 “Stormy weather”, done at an old nag’s clip clop. But speeding up to get home before the storm really hits. Must be one of those Kansas twisters. Yeah, here it comes!!! Good fun!

15 I love this one! Must be Andy Kirk. Would that have been Mary Lou making those encouraging noises?

16 “Every day I have the blues” must be Basie/Williams. Except it’s B B King. So whose band is it? Well, it still sounds like Basie’s band. So maybe it is.

Onto the bonus disc.

1 I’m sure I don’t know this one, but there’s something very familiar about that intro. Then when the piano starts, I still think there’s something familiar about it. But I know I don’t know it! But is it Jack Wilson on piano? This is suggesting Gerald Wilson to me – something from the post-Pacific Jazz period. But the arrangement isn’t quite as round as Wilson’s usually are. But I’m not at all familiar with his more recent work, so maybe. I’m not convinced though. Also the rhythm section’s not quite as loose as Wilson likes it. Pooh, that is one nice tenor player! No, this ain’t Gerald Wilson, he said as the climax got farther and farther out. Enjoyable and intriguing.

2 I think I’ve got this. Yes, sure I’ve got it. But what the fuck is it? Well, it’s Ska. But I don’t think it’s a Jamaican band. Damn! I can’t even recall the title! Try again another time.

3 Beautiful melody. Can’t say it did anything for me, though.

4 “Chance of a ghost”. Well, it reminds me of Fats Waller, but I suppose that’s too obvious for a BFT. It’s not really quite as exuberant as Waller, I feel.

5 This one isn’t for me. A big McCoy Tyner influence in the pianist, it seems. But not for me.

6 Film soundtrack music, it seems. But, despite being very atmospheric, it doesn’t evoke pictures or anything, really

7 Clarinets. Circuses. Hm. An accordion. I was wondering what ten minutes of clarinet circus music would be like. A singer now, singing in some Eastern European language. Oh, is this what Klezmer is? Never heard any before. Not for me, now we’re back to the clarinets and circuses. Time to nip downstairs to make a cuppa.

8 Perez Prado? No, not with a bari player like that, surely. More like Tito Puente. Phew, what a blast! A delight. Machito?

9 Thirties swing band. What a lovely trumpet solo! Do I hear the dulcet tones of Ben Webster?

10 House. Fascinating! Tenor solos are fine, but too much playing around, rather than playing, between them. Ace groove!

11 “Summertime” (seasonal bonus!) not played on an electric bass. Truthfully, I was expecting “God rest ye merry, gentlemen”. Not something I could listen to over and over, but enjoyable while it was on.

Well! That was interesting and often terrific! Thanks Bill.

MG

BFT69 VOL 1 PT 1

1 Something reminding me of Ray Anthony or (less likely) Billy May. Nice bootin’ number to get us off the ground. Don’t recognise the tune, but I’ll go for Ray Anthony. Oh, is that Mr Anthony himself with a two second wail at the end?

2 Wow! “Ascension” goes big band! What a sound! This has, if nothing else, reminded me that I should get “Ascension” again. (It would have been great if Trane had had an organ player for that recording.)

No idea who this is. I should be able to recognise the trumpet player but I just can’t be asked. And the pianist! Pooh gosh! The alto player’s on fire, too! And, OF COURSE, the drummer who’s driving them all mad. To judge by the sound of the organist, I’d guess this is European.

Bleedin’ wonderful!!!!

3 Some nice stride piano. I don’t know who it is but I’m going to guess a KC connection and say Jay McShann. Very, very nice.

4 Acoustic guitar & violin. There is so much grace and delight in the violinist’s approach, so I’m going to guess Stephane Grappelli. I think I should buy a lot of this guy, whoever he is. Lovely!

5 Oh, another piano player from the thirties generation. So, who’s this, then? Actually someone a bit younger, as the piece develops with interesting changes of rhythm, pace and direction. This is quite off my chart, but very likeable.

6 Another wild drummer with bongo player and equally wild trombonist. Oh my, that’s a rare groove starting. And then something that ought to be Les Baxter. Ah, it’s Sun Ra! I think this is going to be my next one from the Arkestra. Oh, would he have used sitars? Now some doubt coming in. No, I still think it’s Sun Ra.

7 This one is kind of meandering. I get the same feeling with this as when, on very rare occasions, I play the Mingus piano LP. I know I should be getting more out of it, and I’m reluctant to get rid of it, but it’s not getting through.

8 Completely different, but the noises off initially put me in mind of Le Nimba de N’zerekore’s album “Gon bia bia”. Then I was reminded of Bob James’ “Explosions”. I think they weren’t really necessary – the tenor player has something interesting to say. But I found the background (even the musical background) irritating.

9 This one’s good, but doesn’t really excite me as I expect it should. Maybe I’m just not feeling right for this. Or perhaps it’s the combination of Bebop type tune/arrangement with a somewhat out tenor player. Is the alto player Earl Anderza? I have a definite antipathy to guitar players like that one (except Floyd Smith, of course).

BFT69 VOL 1 PT 2

On to part 2.

10 This one’s not getting through, I’m afraid, though it’s not uninteresting with its stalking bass line – the best bit, for me.

11 I guess an original that sounds as if it’s a jazz adaptation of a popular song or a TV ad. I can’t hear a bass on this. A familiar line or two makes me think I should know the pianist. The left hand comes near to Ray Bryant, but I don’t think it’s him.

12 This sounds as if it ought to be one of those KC bands of the late twenties/early thirties, like Moten or the Blue Devils. But at 3:43, it can’t be. Or could it be a transcription of that white KC band that used to broadcast from Chicago? Can’t remember the name. Ah, Jeter-Pillars. Damn fine trumpeter!

13 Not much in this one for me.

14 “Stormy weather”, done at an old nag’s clip clop. But speeding up to get home before the storm really hits. Must be one of those Kansas twisters. Yeah, here it comes!!! Good fun!

15 I love this one! Must be Andy Kirk. Would that have been Mary Lou making those encouraging noises?

16 “Every day I have the blues” must be Basie/Williams. Except it’s B B King. So whose band is it? Well, it still sounds like Basie’s band. So maybe it is.

Onto the bonus disc.

1 I’m sure I don’t know this one, but there’s something very familiar about that intro. Then when the piano starts, I still think there’s something familiar about it. But I know I don’t know it! But is it Jack Wilson on piano? This is suggesting Gerald Wilson to me – something from the post-Pacific Jazz period. But the arrangement isn’t quite as round as Wilson’s usually are. But I’m not at all familiar with his more recent work, so maybe. I’m not convinced though. Also the rhythm section’s not quite as loose as Wilson likes it. Pooh, that is one nice tenor player! No, this ain’t Gerald Wilson, he said as the climax got farther and farther out. Enjoyable and intriguing.

2 I think I’ve got this. Yes, sure I’ve got it. But what the fuck is it? Well, it’s Ska. But I don’t think it’s a Jamaican band. Damn! I can’t even recall the title! Try again another time.

3 Beautiful melody. Can’t say it did anything for me, though.

4 “Chance of a ghost”. Well, it reminds me of Fats Waller, but I suppose that’s too obvious for a BFT. It’s not really quite as exuberant as Waller, I feel.

5 This one isn’t for me. A big McCoy Tyner influence in the pianist, it seems. But not for me.

6 Film soundtrack music, it seems. But, despite being very atmospheric, it doesn’t evoke pictures or anything, really

7 Clarinets. Circuses. Hm. An accordion. I was wondering what ten minutes of clarinet circus music would be like. A singer now, singing in some Eastern European language. Oh, is this what Klezmer is? Never heard any before. Not for me, now we’re back to the clarinets and circuses. Time to nip downstairs to make a cuppa.

8 Perez Prado? No, not with a bari player like that, surely. More like Tito Puente. Phew, what a blast! A delight. Machito?

9 Thirties swing band. What a lovely trumpet solo! Do I hear the dulcet tones of Ben Webster?

10 House. Fascinating! Tenor solos are fine, but too much playing around, rather than playing, between them. Ace groove!

11 “Summertime” (seasonal bonus!) not played on an electric bass. Truthfully, I was expecting “God rest ye merry, gentlemen”. Not something I could listen to over and over, but enjoyable while it was on.

Well! That was interesting and often terrific! Thanks Bill.

MG

MG, You missed the last three cuts on the second disc--which include a real Christmas song. The last three cuts are not to be missed, in my opinion. They bring the second disc to a rousing close.

Edited by Hot Ptah

I knew I had that one! But that sounds thinner than mine. I'll have to compare the two later.

MG

Err, not to cross-post from your iPod thread, but it's likely because the disc was burned from MP3s (bitrate 192k).

I'm also missing the final tracks from the 2nd disc - don't believe they're in the download, either. (And no worries, guys - stuff happens!)

As to your guess on Disc Two, tk. 8 - it *is* a very Machito-ish chart, but I'm not sure I want to commit to saying that it is his band (for certain).

Edited by seeline

I knew I had that one! But that sounds thinner than mine. I'll have to compare the two later.

MG

Err, not to cross-post from your iPod thread, but it's likely because the disc was burned from MP3s (bitrate 192k).

I'm also missing the final tracks from the 2nd disc - don't believe they're in the download, either. (And no worries, guys - stuff happens!)

As to your guess on Disc Two, tk. 8 - it *is* a very Machito-ish chart, but I'm not sure I want to commit to saying that it is his band (for certain).

Oh come on, don't be afraid of committment!

MG

Well, I was listening to it on my computer :D

MG

Oy vey, did I botch this one up!

Regarding the discs: I do not know why there was a problem, but I will make new copies and send them out. This one's on me, as I was half-asleep when I burned these and was in a hurry to send them out so I didn't test them. Everyone to whom I sent out CDs will have replacements sent out tomorrow. I greatly apologize for this, and can only offer as an excuse my usual inability to say no to anything unimportant (this falling into the "important" category!) and not getting enough sleep.

Regarding the download: again, this one is on me. I do not know how I managed to only ZIP the first eleven tracks of disc 2, but that's exactly what happened. Tracks 12-14 are on the home computer, to which I am remotely hooked and will be uploading shortly. As soon as they are ready to go, I will send the link to Hot Ptah and he'll send the PM to everyone.

Once again, I apologize profusely and hope this doesn't reflect badly on Hot Ptah, because he put together a helluva BFT.

No worries, Al! And thanks for all your hard work on this.

Disc 2, tk. 7 - well, I'm going to guess that the accordionist *might* be Guy Klucevsek, but as to the rest (tuba, clarinet and strings), gah - maybe this is from a Tzadik release by someone or other? It's very Balkan/klezmer-ish, but beyond that, I'm not sure if I'm hearing the usual suspects. (Maybe it's a European group?)

Or... is that Chris Speed on clarinet??? Or (hate to keep repeating myself) Don Byron? (Those NY people, always messing around with "weird" fusion music.... ;))

and... I think Disc Two, tk. 3 *might* be James Newton, but again, I'm not sure... Whoever it is, they have that gorgeous French flute sound that some of the best classical flutists have (like the late Jean-Pierre Rampal)....

Oh wait - It's Steve Kujala, isn't it?! With Chick Corea, maybe? (I have the disc they made together, but haven't listened to it in ages...)

2nd iteration of "Oh, wait!" - if not Kujala (and I think it's not), then maybe Robert Dick? But the keyboard (is that a Fender Rhodes?) sounds so 70s-ish... I'm sure that it's not Lew Tabackin, but at this point, I'm just making wild guesses!

3d iteration: James Newton. (I think!)

Disc Two, tk. 5 - I'm pretty sure that's Don Byron on clarinet. As for the rest, ??? But maybe it's... John Carter?

Disc 2, tk. 6 - sounds like Don Byron and Bill Frisell to me - maybe it's from "This Land"?

Edited by seeline

Disc One, tk. 5 - sounds New Orleans-ish in some ways; could this be part of a "Live at Maybeck" disc?

Disc One, tk. 6 - Could be Roswell Rudd, although I can't recall him doing anything with Arab or Turkish musicians... Hmm. (It's funny, though! And there's some incredible playing in it, like the opening 'bone solo.)

Disc Two, tk. 12 - Crawfish Fiesta, anyone? (I think it's Professor Longhair playing "Tico-Tico no Fubá.")

Edited by seeline