Refusion: Juniper Bear & Turning Point Reunion

randissimo

Here's an article explaining the event. Juniper Bear was a cutting edge fusion band in the mid-70's around Grand Rapids and Turning Point was a band I played in during the early to mid- 80's.. Show is at Wealthy Theater this Saturday starting at 7 pm.. If you're in the West Michigan area this weekend try and make it.. Gonna be BIG FUN! :tup

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-r..._point_reu.html

Wow: every drummer in the area was there last night, with good reason. Great job, Randy. Taking it out with Machen as an intro really caught Werf's attention.

"Juniper Bear" was as good as everyone hoped. Their rep sort of out ran their life as a band and they became legendary. That show vindicated Mark Larsen, too. I always knew he could do that but the majority of musicians I've spoken to through the years said they only knew him from r&b and funk bands. As a band, though, tight and clean. As Bill Vitts said, "Zappa would have been proud."

Great contrast in styles as bands, too, from Turning Point (which the crowd really loved) with your mile wide grooves and Mach's singing melodies, to Juniper Bear's wild juxtaposition of complex time signatures and heavy arrangements.

Hope the recordings came out ok. Very much looking forward to them.

Wonderful night. Great bands, a great, enthusiastic audience. There was a lot of love in that theater. Turning Point sounded just as I remembered and Juniper Bear lived up to the raves I had heard. As Lazaro said, loved the Mach/Randy duo to open the music up, with a bit of outre-avantedness. I hope this can happen again!