A new (old) turntable in the house

Daniel A

Since last week I'm spending the evenings listening to loads of LPs on the turntable I just got. I had a deal on a Thorens TD 160 worked out when I stumbled across a TD 125 MK II with an SME tonearm in close to perfect condition - I didn't hesitate long since the price was about 130 Euros.

The cartridge is a Shure V15 IV, and while the sound reproduction is absolutely perfect I'm thinking of getting a new stylus since I don't know the mileage of the old one. It appears that Shure is no longer manufacturing this stylus, allthough some dealers still seem to have a couple in stock. One shop I spoke with asked an unbeleivable 330 Euros for a replacement stylus! The best deal I've found on a Shure stylus is 155 Euros. Is it worth the money? A non-original stylus for the Shure pickup made by Huco, Switzerland (I've no idea of their reputation) can be had for about 50 Euros - a better deal or not? Is it at all necessary to switch the stylus when the old one sounds good?

Hello Daniel,

You got an incredible deal there. The SME arm is worth the price alone. Such combinations (even without a working stylus) usually go for 300-500 Euro on Ebay.

The Shure is a very good pickup, so the first choice would indeed be to try to get a replacement needle. As far as I know, original replacement needles for the Shure V15 IV are no longer made (only for the current V15VxMR), so you are limited to old stocks or non-orginal ones. I recommend doing a search on (+shure +replacement) in the Vinyl Asylum to get more info on non-original needles. The price and quality (which affects the sound) of these can be extremely variable.

In case you decided to get a new stylus, you need to take account of the weight of the arm. I guess the SME has medium weight, so it needs a stylus with medium compliance. Most current styluses are adapted to the predominant light tonearms and have a higher compliance.

But maybe you already know all this :)

Edited by Claude

It seems to me that it would be a good idea, considering that the turntable is working well with the stylus it has now, to pick up a replacement to keep at the ready. I would suggest that you try to get the best deal that you can now, considering that they are not widely available now, and may not be available at all, when your present one finally craps out. That's what I did, even though, like yours, mine works wonderfully now. It's up to you, but if you wait, you may not be able to easily get one at all.

I have to keep reminding myself that what we are using is not being manufactured anymore, as far as I know. So, later, you may have to "graverob" to get a replacement, because they will be even more rare then

I've had my turntable [an old, but perfect BSR], for about eight months and it's still good with the stylus that came with it. But that stylus is not going to last forever. :D

Claude and Patricia; many thanks! Since the stylus is working, I'll probably keep it for a while, but, yes, the fact that Shure is no longer manufacturing them makes me want to move fast anyway.

The link to the Vinyl Asylum - that site is new ground for me, even though I've had a turntable for many years - was very good to have indeed! (As was the arm weight / compliance info)

The V15 IV cartridge has a built-in brush, which collects dust from the surface of the record, but is said to mainly function as a stabilizer. I wonder if it's such a good idea to use it - that feature doesn't seem to be common nowadays, if it ever was.

SHURE V15 cartridge brush question (Vinyl Asylum)

It is important that the tracking force needs to be adapted if you decide not to use the brush.

Here are some other essential links:

The best Thorens resource: Analog Dept

Turntable & cartridge manuals: Vinyl Engine (you need to register to download them)

Cartridge setup protractor and stroboscope disc for download and printout, from Enjoythemusic

A Beginner's Guide to Cartridge Setup

Van Den Hul Cartridge FAQ and Turntable System Setup

Edited by Claude