Ian Carr Tribute Concert

sidewinder

Anyone else booked to attend this?

Ian Carr Tribute QEH

Looks like it's going to be a fine tribute, with reunions/recreations of Nucleus, the Michael Garrick 60s group and a performance of Ian's 'Northumbrian Sketches' (I've yet to hear it so looking forward to that one).

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

Intrigued to see mention of the forthcoming release of this one by the Rendell/Carr Group on Roger's tribute site:

Reel2010.jpg

Live At The Union

The write-up mentions that it was recorded at the UCL Union Jazz Club back in the 60s, which was also apparently the rehearsal home of the New Jazz Orchestra at the time. Would that be the UCL Union main bar location (Gordon St I think)? If so - wow ! I have sunk the occasional pint or three in there without having even the slightest idea that this was UK jazz 'hallowed ground'.

Michael Garrick was a UCL Grad (English Lit?), as was Shake Keane so I guess either of these guys may have set up the arrangement.

There's a good stage at ULU though on Malet St - maybe that was the location?

Nice to see that a vinyl will be forthcoming via Stamford Audio - will be snapping that one up.

Edited by sidewinder

Intrigued to see mention of the forthcoming release of this one by the Rendell/Carr Group on Roger's tribute site:

Reel2010.jpg

Live At The Union

The write-up mentions that it was recorded at the UCL Union Jazz Club back in the 60s, which was also apparently the rehearsal home of the New Jazz Orchestra at the time. Would that be the UCL Union main bar location (Gordon St I think)? If so - wow ! I have sunk the occasional pint or three in there without having even the slightest idea that this was UK jazz 'hallowed ground'.

Michael Garrick was a UCL Grad (English Lit?), as was Shake Keane so I guess either of these guys may have set up the arrangement.

There's a good stage at ULU though on Malet St - maybe that was the location?

Nice to see that a vinyl will be forthcoming via Stamford Audio - will be snapping that one up.

Hopefully it will be available 'on the night'!

• 3 weeks later...

According to Amazon, the CD version from Reel Recordings will be available on 6 March. I guess it won't be available 'on the night', next tuesday. What a shame!

Still, I'm looking forward to what should be a terrific evening of jazz at The Southbank

Edited by Head Man

What a great concert last night. Gig of the year, very likely - glad I was there to see it.

Difficult to pick out a performance that was best. Nicky Yeoh, Rendell/Garrick/Winstone/Lowther/Themen/Tompkins/Green classic lineup, the 'Northumbrian Sketches' orchestral suite (brilliant) and the 'Nucleus Revisited' - they were all memorable.

Ray Russell played a blinder with the Nucleus lineup. :)

And nice to see 94 year old Coleridge Goode enjoying it all from the front. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

Sounds like a great night, sidewinder. Pity it wasn't on a Saturday!

Nikki Yeoh is a very impressive player. Like Jason Yarde, someone who is sadly underrepresented on disc. I first saw her at Cheltenham about ten years ago and felt sure we had a new star; yet her profile has remained rather low.

And that 'Northumbrian Sketches' piece is marvellous - I have the original CD and have always felt it made a really interesting, spiky use of an orchestra.

Do you have the Gil Evans 'British Orchestra' record? Ray Russell plays a marvellous solo on the version of 'Little Wing' there.

Do you have the Gil Evans 'British Orchestra' record? Ray Russell plays a marvellous solo on the version of 'Little Wing' there.

I saw that Evans group at Ronnie Scotts in 1983 with Ray Russell in the lineup ! John Surman was also in there, I recall. Also Frank Ricotti, I think.

Funilly enough when I was getting a beer in before the start, Ray Russell was right next to me getting his glass topped up. Didn't even realise who he was until he came on to the stage !

First time I've heard Nikki Yeoh but I was impressed - good start to the concert.

Tues night was not the best timing - I ended up getting back home at 3am with a 9am work start the next day. Today was a challenge... :rlol

Edited by sidewinder

Yes I must concur with Sidewinder (whom I'm sorry to have missed saying hello to at the concert - but it was packed and having just had a Pizza I was dying of thirst so queued up for 20 mins for ...water! - sorry, I digress) :rolleyes: . Notwithstanding my review as alluded to above, I must say it was all fantastic, all hyperbole aside. Even my dear wife enjoyed it and was quite surprised by it especially Northumbrian Sketches (which really was magnificent). When Ray Russell appeared on stage I wanted to say to her "Do you realise that that man has played and recorded with the GREAT Gil Evans?" but didn't have a chance.

Edited by RogerF

and having just had a Pizza I was dying of thirst so queued up for 20 mins for ...water! - sorry, I digress) :rolleyes: .

Hee hee - if you had queued with me and Ray Russell you could have had a beer ! :g

Very positive review of Roger's Ian Carr discography in this month's Jazzwise. Well done Roger!

Bought a copy 'on the night' and can vouch that it is a mighty fine and objective read - always a pleasure to read about those classic 60s and 70s albums. Respect !

Edited by sidewinder

A really terrific evening. I especially enjoyed the Northumbrian Sketches part of the performance and have been playing the CD at home today (In fact, I found the live version better than the CD version). Also bought a copy of his new CD - 'Live at The Union, 1966' - at the performance and it's excellent. Well done to everyone concerned!

Edited by Head Man

Very positive review of Roger's Ian Carr discography in this month's Jazzwise. Well done Roger!

Thanks Bev! BTW if anyone wants a copy of the book I am giving copies away free but asking recipients to make a donation (an amount of their choice) directly to the Alzheimer's Society (of which this concert was in aid) this offer applies to the UK only I'm afraid. Email me here at the Ian Carr website.

Edited by RogerF