Hubble (the telescope)

Joe G

I'm looking at the latest Nat'l Geographic, and they have some recent pictures from Hubble. Back in March of 2002, astronauts installed a new camera, called ACS (Advanced Camera for Surveys, kind of lame ;) ) which has roughly ten times the discovery power of the previous camera, according to the article. These new pictures are just stunningly beautiful and mind blowing. Here's a link to the NG site where there are a few of the shots. Be sure to check out the animations.

A caption above a photo of a globular cluster (dense concentrations of stars) says that "in another ancient globular cluster, M4, Hubble recently suprised scientists by revealing a planet that may have formed 12.7 billion years ago-the oldest known to date." Now that's old. I wonder if a planet within a g.c. ever sees nightfall...

I don't know about anyone else, but I find this stuff just endlessly fascinating. I look at those images and almost can't believe that such incredible events and structures are actually happening out there. :wacko::alien: B)

Edited by Joe G