"Sounds in Space" (RCA Victor 1958): Cover Artist

neveronfriday

Hi everyone,

whenever I have to turn my mind off completely for one reason or another, I sit and rework crummy scans of classic LP covers (David Stone Martin, Alex Steinweiss, any LP with graphics on it and ... old). It's a strange way of relaxing, but it works.

I've recently been working on the cover of this LP:

R-572607-1150038187.jpeg

LP on Discogs

It's got some totally generic space art, but I was wondering if the artist is credited anywhere. I found a few bad scans of the back of the cover and I couldn't make out any attribution.

Just in case ... does anyone know who drew the cover for this one (my guess it was some contracted or in-house artist that never got his name mentioned).

Thanks for looking.

There are no art/graphics credits on my copy of the record - nothing on the back, and no (visible) signature on the front.

I'm guessing it was done in-house.

BTW, Ken Nordine provides the narration between selections.

Thank you very much for checking!!!

And, I knew about Ken Nordine.I have actually collected (=downloaded from the Internet) quite a few covers of LPs on which he does the narrating, especially the "Jazz Word" LPs that often have great covers. :)

Slightly off topic:

While "Sounds in Space" is basically a stereo demonstration album with outer space graphics, there is a nice discussion of postwar orchestral outer space mood music, including cover art, here:

http://www.ele-mental.org/~ecc/exo/exotica/osearticle.html

This sub-sub-genre has retroactively been dubbed "outer space exotica."

I started a thread on this music here:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=53818