Formats for ripping CDs

The Magnificent Goldberg

Got my ipod working

but it just don't work on

.wma

And Windows Media player and Real Player don't work on

AAC files

which I now find is what iTunes creates when you use it to rip from a CD.

It seems that the only software-independent format is mp3. I tried converting an AAC album ripped with iTunes to mp3, but the "Efficient wma to mp3 converter" someone gave me didn't like it and crashed.

Is there some (free?) software around that enable one to ripp from a CD and create .mp3 files out of it?

MG

MG. iTunes has a .mp3 encoder built in, but you have to select it as the format you want to rip to....

Go to edit>preferences>...I can't remember which tab it's on in the Windows version, but you are looking for Import Settings. You need to select the .mp3 encoder and then it will let you select the sample rate you want to use, etc.

Edited by Shawn

MG. iTunes has a .mp3 encoder built in, but you have to select it as the format you want to rip to....

Go to edit>preferences>...I can't remember which tab it's on in the Windows version, but you are looking for Import Settings. You need to select the .mp3 encoder and then it will let you select the sample rate you want to use, etc.

Thanks Shawn.

I just looked at the user manual.

Will try after dinner.

MG