Darius Milhaud's String Quartets

DTMX

I've been on a string quartet binge lately and I wanted to know if anybody had some opinions on any of Milhaud's 18 string quartets. In particular the 14th and the 15th which can be played separately or can be played together as an octet. That sounds like a cool concept but like many works (John Cage in particular), the description of the music is more interesting than the music itself. The only recording I can find of the 14th, 15th, and 14th+15th is a big ol' box set and I'd like to get some opinions on the various quartets before I make a decision to splurge or purge. Thanks.

I have heard only the String Quartet #1 op.5, and I LOVE it. I have a Capriccio Recoding performed by the Peterson String Quartet. Absolutely sublime.

I think that's the one and only one I have too. It's a TOTALLY AMAZING work, and on the strength of it - I'd probably buy all the others, sight unseen.

Trouble is I've never seen recordings of any of the others. :unsure:

but I'm skeptical of much of Milhaud. How many opus #s are there?

Huge volumes of opus numbers does not necessarily mean substandard music. Case in point: Ernst Krenek, who's opus numbers climb all the way up to at least 240. I've yet to hear a work by Krenek that I didn't at least think was above average, and in many cases, "top drawer".

And now for the rest of the story:

Thanks for the input on Milhaud's string quartets. I have a lot of respect for the various opinions and recomendations of this board's participants - that's why I asked. And with that, I reworked the budget and bought the Milhaud box set on the Naive label. Musically richer but financially poorer - try paying the gas bill with a string quartet and see how far that'll get you. 18 string quartets + the octet (14th+15th) and a tribute to Stravinsky. Works out to about $0.71 per movement. All of it uniformly good - I like these chamber pieces better than Milhaud's orchestral works. Lively, somber, traditional, Schoenbergian - there's a lot of variety. And the 14th and 15th work well on their own and complement each other nicely when played simultaneously. Thanks again...

DTMX, how many discs is that set??  I'll have to look for it.  Don't suppose you have a link, by any chance??  I'll probably try to look myself, later tonight...

Sorry for the late response. I got my copy from Amazon.com - it may have been one of their New & Used sellers (I can't remember). My copy was new, 5 CDs, with ample descriptions of the music contained in the booklets (plus some reminiscing by Milhaud's widow). The performances are first rate and the sound quality is very good. The downside is that the quartets are not arranged in chronological order enabling the listener to hear the progression of the composer. Instead they are grouped on each CD by themes or circumstance - almost like how a professor might present two pieces of music to compare and contrast (which is what the booklets do).

Here's the link: Milhaud Quartets on Naive

Next stop: The Krenek quartets performed by the Petersen Quartet. And maybe Bobby Bradford on Emanem (not a string quartet but too good to pass up).