kin ping meh

Bright Moments

Early 70s German KRAUTROCK the hottest thing in 2010 Florida?? :excited: Wow! ^_^

Never went for that kind of "home-grown" psychedelic rock but of course remember them from the time my interest in music really started in 1975 as quite a few of my age peers were heavily into all those long-haired fuzz-guitar Krautrock bands. Wonder what kind of money their original albums fetch these days? (And I understand there is a 4-CD box out too)

Actually, they're not a Krautrock band

(an awful term thrust on the majority of German bands

by the British press) even tho they hail from Mannheim.

They're closer to hard rock with the occasional art-rock influence.

If you're a fan of bands like Birth Control, Uriah Heep or

even maybe early Deep Purple then you may be interested.

The second album is actually considered to be one of their

least progressive or "meh-like" with it's indebtedness to

southern rock in some places. They were trying for a more AOR

style that actually is kind of all over the place -

a little soft rock here, a little progressive "tron" style there,

Lynyrd Skynyrd at times, etc.

A while back I posted a few of their LPs:

021601.jpg021602.jpg

"Concrete" being the live one where they really shine.

It's a good start if you're interested.

The first album is closer to a prog blues-rock jam (à la Quatermass) with

heavy guitar, Hammond organ, harmonica, et al:

021604.jpg

and the third LP is pretty decent hard rock with some vocals that are kind of sub-par:

021603.jpg

Edited by rostasi

Actually, they're not a Krautrock band

In a way you are right - actually I might as well have called them a "DEUTSCHROCK" band (which is the label used domestically), but who knows what non-German-speaking forumists might have made of THAT? ;) ("So this is the DEUTSHE ROCK?? Do you SPREKEN SIE DEUTSH?") :crazy: :crazy:

Anyway .... a label is a label, and be that Krautrock or Deutschrock, both terms as used over here (the first one tongue-in-cheek, because WE were well aware of its implied connotations, the second one more straightforward) refer to that brand of genuinely German post-Beat rock bands form the late 60s to the mid-70s or so. And both labels as understood here do not only include hard rock-like bands but also pretty far-out stuff such as AMON DÜÜL or TANGERINE DREAM.

Ha, this is strange ... though I never dug the music of those bands, it does bring back memories from my teen days when they are evoked now.

Though it seems you cannot bring back those times anyway; Kin Ping Meh (to get back to the topic) had a reunion tour 2 or 3 years ago but according to internet forum comments it was a major disappointment all the way. A bit like when they tried to bring each and every arthritic, long-inactive, rusted up 20s blues singer back on stage in the 60s. ;) Some just couldn't cut it anymore.

Edited by Big Beat Steve