Hey Bernie ...

Women arrested for trying to take corpse on to plane

Two German women have been arrested at a UK airport trying to smuggle a dead man, propped in a wheelchair and wearing sunglasses, onto an easyJet flight to Germany.

The 91-year-old man's widow and stepdaughter drew the attention of security staff at Liverpool's John Lennon Airport when the group asked for help to lift the corpse from a taxi into a wheelchair before entering the departure terminal.

"I did my best to help by carefully lifting the man from his seat," airport security worker Andrew Millea told The Telegraph.

"To my horror his face fell sideways against mine, it was ice cold. I knew straight away that the man was dead, but they reassured me that he 'always sleeps like that'."

Mr Millea said airport staff who tried to check the man's pulse were shepherded away by the man's stepdaughter, who urged children travelling with the group to tell them "that's how your grandad always sleeps".

But airport officials soon established the man was dead and alerted local police, despite protests from the family that "eight people" at the airport had seen signs of life in the corpse.

"They think that for 24 hours we would carry a dead person? This is ridiculous. He was moving, he was breathing. Eight people saw him," the stepdaughter said, according to The Telegraph.

A statement from Greater Manchester Police said the man's 66-year-old widow and 44-year-old stepdaughter, both German nationals living in Oldham, Greater Manchester, were taken into custody on suspicion of failing to notify authorities of the man's death.

An easyJet check-in desk worker described the incident as the most "the most shocking thing" she has seen in three years working for the airline, but said the women did a "good job of disguising the truth and the other passengers did not appear to notice that the man was dead".

Authorities are investigating whether the women, after buying the tickets two weeks before flying, were trying to avoid the expense and bureaucratic red-tape of returning the body to Germany. It is thought the man died from natural causes on on Good Friday, a full day before his arrival at the airport.

The women were released on bail until June 1.

That wasn't a dead man. It was David Cameron launching his election pitch.

Think I would prefer a dead man to Gordon Brown.

Yikes, is Brown that bad?

Ineffective, yes. And the Labour Party have been a huge let down (13 years and we still have private education!!!!).

But Cameron and co are the same old same old. Bright smiles, caring surface but you can bet the City is licking its lips.