Phillip Wilson

paul secor

I was listening to Frank Lowe's CD, Inappropriate Choices today, and was once again struck by Phillip Wilson's playing. What a marvelous musician he was - such subtlety in his playing. It seemed that he was able to underplay (both in terms of volume and number of notes) and still accomplish everything he had to. I just finished listening to his trio sides with Lester Bowie and William Parker on the Phillip Wilson Project (Jazz Door) and was taken away by his playing.

I only heard him play on recordings. If others here have heard him play in a live setting, I have a question: Was his live playing different from his playing on records?

Whenever I listen to him, I try not to, but I can't help but think about his death (or at least what I've heard). There are probably no good ways to die, but his death seemed particularly terrible.

If there are others here who loved Phillip Wilson's music, I'd enjoy reading your comments or memories.