saxophones part 4

AllenLowe

I am a bit OCD, and it took a while to settle on a horn and mouthpieces(s).

in my last exciting installment, I noted having been able to purchase cheaply a late (though early Selmer) Buescher Aristorcrat, and to have found myself surprised at the amazing quality - it played as good as my old Conns, et al. Well I bought another 1960s Buescher (Selmer bought the company in the 1960s and, by legend and eventual fact, turned the horns into medicrities), this one a Busescher 400 from maybe 1965. Got a little work done to it and it sings like a Mark VI - what is going on here? (I also picked up a very beat up King Zephyr that nobody else wanted, and with a little bit of work - it doesn't look too great - it sounds gorgeous.)

So I am a happy horn player; my tenor is up on Ebay this week (can't handle the heavy horn any more due to my carpal tunnel); I am a certified late Buescher user. And best of all I found a genius mouthpiece man in Florida named Greag Wier, and so I have got that (vital) part of the equation together. Also found a new reed brand - Rico Jazz Select - which is excellent and consistent.

Doing a whole bunch of recording of the blues and variations, which I will try to post next month. The CD with Rudd and Shipp will also include another session with Marc Ribot next month, and will probably turn into a 2 CD set. Been training a Maine band, two young guys who have never in their life played a jazz gig (electronic drums and bass) who are coming along just fine. Plus a guitarist who is brilliant, a Berklee grad who is my anchor.

so here I am with nary a gig, and miracle of miracle, my chops are good. From years of playing in my head, I guess. Next stop - Europe?

Edited by AllenLowe