Enrico Rava at Jazz Showcase

His New Quintet (minus Paul Motian) is playing the Jazz Showcase in Chicago next Monday. I will be in town on buisness with some colleagues and was planning on attending.

Anyone else going?

Also, what time should we get there for good seats, and, is there parking available nearby?

Thanks. Hope to see you there...

LWayne

Well, I hope I don't have to eat my words, but there hasn't been much if any advertising for this, but perhaps the Reader will pick it up. I don't think it will be super crowded (unfortunately), so probably 30 minutes beforehand should be sufficient.

I haven't entirely decided if I am going, but I'd like to go. I believe sal is going.

There are lots of places to park in the South Loop, though the cost will be relatively high. There is essentially no free parking in the South Loop.

Weekdays at the Showcase aren't usually very busy at all. Mondays are almost always local acts, with a $10 cover, so I'm not sure how this will work out. I wouldn't worry about getting there very early. Given the way sound tends to bounce in the Showcase, you might want to sit further back, anyway.

There is a parking lot directly behind the Showcase -- I've never parked there, but I think it's $5. There is a decent chance of finding metered street parking on Polk St, right by the Showcase, or on State St, a block or two away. That will run $2 or $2.50/hr, and it's free after 9:00.

Ok, I see in the Reader that this is listed as the Enrico Rava alumni quintet, whereas the Jazz Showcase website still says Rava himself will be there. No one answered when I called, but I will try again later. Anyone else know? This would make a pretty serious difference to whether I would bother coming down!!

Rava or not, I don't think it will be crowded. Pretty much anyone really interested in jazz will be coming to check out Pat Metheny and his one-man Orchestrion at Symphony Center on Monday. Probably still tickets available to that.

Well my expectations would have been wrong. Just called the Jazz Showcase and they confirmed that Enrico Rava had to cancel due to an injury, but his band will be there nonetheless. What a shame as I was really looking forward to catching him!

Any other alternatives for Monday night? Might try Pat Metheny after all, but tickets are pricey. Perhaps there is a "same day" discount.

I missed Henry Threadgill earlier this year, and now Rava.

LWayne

Well my expectations would have been wrong. Just called the Jazz Showcase and they confirmed that Enrico Rava had to cancel due to an injury, but his band will be there nonetheless. What a shame as I was really looking forward to catching him!

Any other alternatives for Monday night? Might try Pat Metheny after all, but tickets are pricey. Perhaps there is a "same day" discount.

LWayne

Very sorry to hear that, but probably best to know now and not when you show up (this happened to sheldonm and myself when we tried to see Fathead Newman who had canceled for health reasons).

Andy's has the Hal Tsuchida Trio, whereas Green Mill has Patricia Barber and her group. Hard to beat the Green Mill's ambiance (but you have to like piano jazz with vocals with her).

LWayne

I saw some exciting news that Threadgill will be at the Chicago Jazz Fest. Not sure if you will be able to come back for that.

Edited by ejp626

I should have checked my post on Monday. I did wind up going to see "Honeyboy" at the Chicago Cultural Center (old library) since I had a customer meeting being delayed.

Great set and I bought an autographed CD from him.

LWayne