Andrew Hill and Jason Moran

Trio

Andrew Hill and Jason Moran put on a great show at Merkin Hall last night.Except for one solo number each,this was indeed a duo performance as advertised.It was interesting for me how the individual style and personality of each artist came through,but in a very complimentary way.I did not detect any overt upsmanship or egos showing,although I might add that Andrew in particular was much more active last night,he was all over the keyboard,and playing with more energy than I have seen recently.

As for the tunes,the only melodies I recognized outright were"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas",Jason's "Gentle shifts down south" and perhaps a one other.I think most of the pieces were probably originals.

Rooster,

Yes,two(2) Steinway's facing each other.BTW,this was the first in a series of duo performances at Merkin Hall.Next up is Randy Weston and Rodney Kendrick in Feb,and Hank Jones and Benny Green on 3/22.

I hope that Andrew and Jason will do this again,but I kind of doubt that it will happen.