uhh........

CJ Shearn

If I hadn't found the right support net--and that's both teachers and peers--I would be a very, very bitter person indeed. It took me a while to disabuse myself of wanting to be confrontationally against the grain and realize that, for the most part (and with certain very significant exceptions), everyone is in the same club.

All I know is that I will never understand how anyone can call that musical or pleasurable or any of the things that I associate with musical enjoyment.

I tend to fall in line with Dan, generally speaking. There's so much "in" music I love that I see no need to venture "out," and would rather listen to other "in" genres than to follow jazz "out." All the same, I have given a bunch of Ornette Coleman a try and found some of it beautiful, so I know there's a "there" there. :)

LOL at Chris' comment at the youtube link. The kid's so full of himself in his comments. It puts me off more than his attempt at music.

just curious ep1strophy, who would you rate as players known for their inside work who do you think has excelled in free settings? I wouldrate Jack DeJohnette, Pat Metheny, Bobby Hutcherson, Joe Henderson to that list.

Funny that I first heard all of those guys in "free"-ish settings (DeJohnette in New Directions, Metheny on Song X, Hutcherson on the old Blue Notes and with Shepp, Henderson--maybe Page One, but I'm inclined to say Unity or Point of Departure). Guys like DeJohnette and Metheny, especially, wouldn't really, I'd guess, discriminate between the regions of their work (some things Metheny has said seem to suggest that his sometimes unwieldy experiments are of the same "career" piece as his more "inside" travels)...

...and neither would Braxton, for that matter, although the aesthetic results are arguably weighted toward his non-standard/inside stuff.

What immediately comes to mind are players from the Miles axis--Corea, Holland, Hancock, Williams...--who got their piece of the free pie at a certain point and were each very capable of positively killing it. All of them got out of the game, too, a lot of it a commercial thing (which is, sadly, a crucial swing vote in the free/inside thing, I've gathered...). The one who really clinches it, though, is Williams, who reputedly gave the best Cecil Taylor trio concert of all time. I'd believe it...