BMG jazz

Chrome

Does anyone have any idea how BMG decides which re-issue jazz CDs to offer in the club? I've been in the situation a number of times where I've picked something up at a "real" store only to see it pop up much cheaper in the club a few months later.

For example, I wonder how many of the 2004 RVGs will show up at BMG?

Me too! :wacko:

I have bought exactly two RVGs in stores of the last few batches, only to find them in the club shortly thereafter. :eye:

Best way to avoid this in the future, obviously, is just to wait a month or two after the new batches are released to see if BMG picks them up. As difficult as it may be to wait at times, this is what I've been doing recently.

Best way to avoid this in the future, obviously, is just to wait a month or two after the new batches are released to see if BMG picks them up. As difficult as it may be to wait at times, this is what I've been doing recently.

Good things come to those who wait!!!!...........

huh Street Singer............... :g:g

Street Singer, you must have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more willpower than I do! :D

(Of course, that's not saying much.)

Nah, believe me, I don't! Don't even know the meaning of the word, actually... (Especially when there's a "2/3 Off Everything w/ No Shipping" sale at BMG!)

There's always so much stuff that I've been meaning to get for a while that I rarely pick up new stuff right when it comes out (w/ the recent exception of Andrew Hill's 'Passing Ships'). I guess if I had the finances to do so I would, but...

I've often wondered this myself...

They must have some process by which they decide which ones to carry...it can't just be random. I'm often surprised at which ones they do end up carrying, though. And, conversely, which ones they don't.

Who knows?! :huh:

My guess is that it's the record companies themselves that provide the cue, identifying albums they are ready to sell at discount to the Club. It's a way for the companies to move stock without obviously cutting the retail price (which has drawbacks for the corporate bean-counters and marketeres).

Seems like most of the common labels make it to the BMG club. Even most of the box sets.

These labels usually don't sell on BMG:

Sundazed

Curb

Dreamworks

London (Rolling Stones)

Apple (Beatles)

You just have to wait about 6 months.

There are quite a few Blue Note cds available. Just use the advance search and enter BLUE NOTE in the label box.

Edited by Tjazz

Seems like most of the common labels make it to the BMG club. Even most of the box sets.

You just have to wait about 6 months.

There are quite a few Blue Note cds available. Just use the advance search and enter BLUE NOTE in the label box.

tjazz,

I've often wished for a way to search by label on the BMG website...but had no idea there was actually a way to do this. Thanks for the tip!