L/F Sax Battle File - Various Artists

This is a collectors item!

- Wardell Gray/ Dexter Gordon w. Russ Freeman, Clarence Jones, Lawrence Marable

*Stompin at the Savoy* recorded at the Cliff Club, Hollywood, 1953

Not much Wardell, but what there is great. Good Dexter, rhythm section...

- Lee Konitz Quartet plus Warne Marsh (Lee with Ronnie Ball, Peter Ind, Jeff Morton)

*Bop Goes the Leezel, You Go to my Head, Subconcious Lee* recorded live at Storyville, Boston, 1954.

As far as I know, these 3 tracks are the only live recordings by this Konitz group that include Marsh... great performances by a great band.

To my ears the tape speed seems a little fast, but then you can't have everything ...

- Warne Marsh Quartet plus Zoot Sims (Warne w. Lou Levy, Fred Atwood, Jake Hanna)

*April* taped at Ratso's, Chicago, February 1976.

From the notes, this would appear to be the same Marsh group (minus Zoot) that made *All Music* for Chuck's Nessa label a couple of days later. Fine Marsh - Zoot sounds stodgy in comparison ...

- Sonny Stitt/ Red Holloway Quintet w. Art Hilary (p), Richard Reed (b), Bruno Carr (d)

*Blue'n Boogie, Stardust, Wee, Finale* recorded live in Norway, 1981.

Typical blowing session by fine musicians.

Q

Edited by Quasimado

This is a collectors item!

- Warne Marsh Quartet plus Zoot Sims (Warne w. Lou Levy, Fred Atwood, Jake Hanna)

*April* taped at Ratso's, Chicago, February 1976.

This is the same Marsh group minus Zoot that made *All Music* for Chuck's Nessa label a couple of days later. Fine Marsh - Zoot sounds stodgy in comparison ...

Q

This was the night after we recorded All Music and the bass player was Jim Atlas.