Corridos, conjunto, mariachi and all things Tex-Mex

kenny weir

In the years before I turned my ears almost exclusively to jazz for a decade, Tex-Mex was always part of my listening mix.

Sure, I wasn’t as deep into to it as New Orleans music of many genres, swamp pop and blues, cajun and zydeco, but it fitted nicely into my passionate interest in most things to do with Gulf Coast music.

I had, maybe, about a dozen or so albums – some conjunto anthologies on Rounder, some Steve Jordan and so on.

I suspect I’m not alone in having a ready-made empathy for this kind of music.

Surely it goes with the territory when you’ve spent time digging, at various times, the Sir Douglas Quintet, the Texas Tornadoes, the Iguanas of New Orleans, Los Lobos and so on.

As well, some of the early western swing outfits – Milton Brown and the Tune Wranglers come to mind – also were quite happy to tap into this musical vein.

Anyway, recently this became for me an itch that needed to be scratched.

After casing out a number of albums at my usual outlet, cdconnection, I signed on to the Arhoolie site.

What a pleasure that was!

Delivery time to Australia was as fast as I can recall, the system they have for listening to samples is easily the best and quickest I have come across, and they currently have a deal whereby if you order more than three items you get 20% off the whole order. Fantastic – that basically paid for the postage on the seven sets I ordered!

I’ll be wanting to pursue this avenue at least a little bit further – suggestions welcome. I suspect anthologies are the go for me, as is Texas music as opposed that of Mexico. Am I right in presuming that Arhoolie pretty much has a lock on this field?

In the meantime, it’s just a terrific blast to have this stuff bouncing off the walls again!

51PPHFF2ZFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Various artists - The Soulful Women Duets Of South Texas

Oh man, this is the business! I was just about to order one several Arhoolie Lydia Mendoza CDs, when I plumped for this instead. Her sisters are one of six sibling outfits that contribute to the 24 tracks. There’s a nice mix here – from some more traditional-sounding sides to some that are quite urbane, featuring suave percussion and tasty saxophone parts. But it’s the voices that are the thing – a simply wonderful cascade that reminds me nothing other than the Louvins or Delmores. Translations are provided for most tunes, but as the songs are concerned exclusively with affairs of the heart, they’re hardly necessary.

41BAX9VXDPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Freddy Fender - Canciones De Mi Barrio

Much of this was already familiar to me, from having it on a Flyright vinyl album back in the day. It still sounds fantastic!

Of the tracks that were unfamiliar to me, a number are of a more traditional kind. Nice, but hardly essential – although I’m happy to listen to Freddy’s voice any old time.

But the heart of the matter are Freddy’s Spanish-language takes on tunes such as There’s Something On Your Mind, Since I Met You Baby, I Hear You Knocking and so on. All done in a soulful, simple way, often with Freddy’s guitar throwing off sparks in the process.

It’s these cuts, to my mind, that put Freddy right up there in the swamp pop hall of fame – even if, like Jimmy Donley, he hails from outside South Louisiana.

41M4JQCJD2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

El Ciego Melquiades - San Antonio House Party

According to Chris Strachwitz’s notes, this is a bit of throwback. At a time (’35-’49) when the influence of accordian was growing in south Texas, Melquiades played fiddle straight-up and simple. This is all instrumental music, so a whole CD of it is a lot. But imbibed in smallish amounts, its charm is undeniable. It has a stateliness that makes it quite different in feel from any of the other fiddle music with which I familiar: old-time, jazz, western swing and so on.

61E3soYf3CL._SS500_.jpg

Mariachi Coculense de Cirilo Marmolejo - Mexico's Pioneer Mariachis - Vol.1 (1926 – 1936)

Mariachi Tapatio de Jose Marmolejo - Mexico's Pioneer Mariachis - Vol.2

Mariachi Vargas de Tecalitlan - Their First Recordings: 1937-1947 – Vol.3

To tell you the truth, even when, in years past, I had Tex-Mex and/or Mexican music around, I never even considered mariachi, saddled as I’ve no doubt been with all the usual negative baggage that attends the music.

These three albums have changed all that.

Not that I have much of an idea what I’m listening to! Going by the Arhoolie site, there’s a lot of depth in mariachi, and lot of variety in terms of regional variations. The notes to all these discs – by Jonathan Clark – make fascinating reading.

From what I can gather, in these early days of the music’s history – or, more to the point , the early days of its recorded history – the bands were almost exclusively fronted by violins, with trumpet only gradually making its mark.

The result here is exquisite, the collegiate violins providing a backdrop for some beautiful-sounding solo trumpets, where they are used at all.

To my ears, Mariachi Vargas are clearly the most accomplished of the three outfits. I believe they’re the big cheese of the mariachi world, and the ones who recorded and toured with Linda Rondstadt.

Translations are provided, but are hardly necessary to enjoyment of the music, particularly the musicians’ ability to generate terrific momentum – and without drums, just like so much of the jazz, western swing and hillbilly boogie that I love.

There is a fourth release in this series - Cuarteto Coculense - The Very First Recorded Mariachis: 1908-1909 – that sounds too crusty even for me!

I don’t know if need much or any more mariachi in my life, but I’m very glad to have these three. And I’d be happy to hear tips and opinions of fellow board members.

e01294on0b9.jpg

I was real excited about getting this amazing four-disc set – great price, great booklet, cool music.

So if I am little disappointed, the blame is none but my own.

The problem for non-Spanish speakers is that the four discs – devoted, respectively, to Outlaws and Revolutionaries, Pancho Villa, Local Revolutionary Figures, and Post Revolutionary Corrdios and Narratives – are all story songs. And not just story songs – but story songs with long and quite detailed narratives, ones that frequently took up both sides of a 78.

So while it’s quite possible to enjoy the music without understanding the Spanish lyrics, to gain maximum benefit will require detailed study of the booklet and its translations – and probably a better working knowledge of the Mexican Revolution than I currently possess! I suspect this box’s time is yet to come for me.

Edited by kenny weir

I can make a few suggestions.

Amalia Mendoza--Great singer I recently discovered in the form of a couple of vintage RCA Mexico LPs. Here is one of those LPs, available cheap on CD.

http://www.amazon.com/Tariacuri-Amalia-Mendoza/dp/B0000AKY43/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278909689&sr=8-1 (some selections with Mariachi Vargas...).

Chavela Vargas--the queen of ranchera music. This would be a good one to get (though it seems to be currently unavailable), as she is paired with Antonio Bribiesca (the master of the weeping guitar). http://www.amazon.com/Grandes-Exitos-Chavela-Antonio-Bribiesca/dp/B0000630YV/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278910224&sr=1-36

Mariachi Vargas is the most famous mariachi band in Mexico. This is a pretty good example (Sones de Jalisco): http://www.amazon.com/Sones-Jalisco-Mariachi-Vargas-Tecalitlan/dp/B0000C0F9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278910788&sr=1-1

I really like the two double CD anthologies called The Great Guitarists of Mexico (a truthful title, the guitarists are Antonio Bribiesca, Claudio Estrada, Gilberto Puente and Ramon Dona Do)--Here is one of them. http://www.amazon.com/Grandes-Guitarristas-Mexico-Coleccion-Rca/dp/B00008RUZR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278911033&sr=1-1-spell

For newer material: Lila Downs is quite good, as was her last CD, Shake Away. http://www.amazon.com/Grandes-Guitarristas-Mexico-Coleccion-Rca/dp/B00008RUZR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278911033&sr=1-1-spell

Another outstanding recent CD by one of the current premiere singers in Mexico, Eugenia Leon, is called Cine, an anthology of songs from the history of Mexican and Latin American cinema: http://www.amazon.com/Cine-Eugenia-Leon/dp/B002YRH31Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278911263&sr=1-1

Edited by kh1958

In the vinyl days i checked out the Arhoolie offer to "Norteno" music (i.e. pre-Fender/Lobos etc. "pop" Tex Mex music) too and was rather overwhelmed. I agree that Arhoolie is the way to go for TEX-Mex music, especially reissues from the pre-1965 era).

Unless you really are in a completist mood, compilations really are the way to go IMHO to get a broad yet in-depth overview. For early individual artists, I would have snapped up El Ciego Melquiades and Narciso Martinez too in a first round.

Personally I always went by the "category" or mujsic as indicated in the track listings. RANCHERAS were a sure bet for lively music, their brand of polkas is enjoyable too (and both categories should indeed sound familiar to fans of 30s/40s Western Swing as there are common sources indeed), "Schottisches" (sometimes spelled "shotis" on their discs) are an acquired taste for me (just as the Bob Wills Schottisches, incidentally ;)), and I for one have never really got into CORRIDOS, that other major subidiom of Mexican//Tex Mec traditional music. They are only for those who really do speak Spanish well and want to indulge in the lyrics (as these really often are "topical songs" and live strictly on the lyrics) but the accompaniment often really is very basic and monotonous if taken from the instrumental aspect alone. So if a compilation had a huge share of corridos I knew it was not really essential for me (though I do understand Spanish rather well).

As for truly Mexican (as opposed to Norteno) artists, if reissues of earlier artists are anything to go by, Javier Solis or Jorge Negrete seem to be another path worth checking out for what was popular in Mexico back in the day (from what I remember seeing in the Mexican bins in record shops in Spain in the early 80s they were as well represented there as Chavela Vargas, for example).

BTW, Kenny, in case you remember or still have those Arhoolie vinyl Norteno music compilations, Vol. 1 or their anthology (which was sort of an "introductory" volume) has a very interesting booklet listing many artists worth checking out in the opinion of the Arhoolie people and give lists of what was available or woirth trying to search for as of the late 70s when this LP was released. So it might be worth checking what there is of the artists listed there that has since been re-reissued elsewhere.

Personally I always went by the "category" or mujsic as indicated in the track listings.

Yes, Steve, good guidelines.

I instinctively knew that about corridos, but went for the Mexican Revolution set any way - the price was just too good and I was/am fascinated. But, as you say, the backings don't vary much and the rhythm component doesn't seem as important, as the songs are very much about the lyrics.

Whereas the female duets, above, are all heart songs and there is quite a bit of variety in the backings. And the voices are so lovely and, yes, eloquent, not understanding Spanish is no biggie.

And having written the above reviews this morning, I'm stewing quinces and playing the mariachi discs just for the pleasure of it. Given this is my first exposure to genuine mariachi, it's really quite Twilight Zonish how perfectly at home I feel with it.

Anthologies are the way to go, for sure.

Given our mutual tastes, you'll no doubt be unsurprised I'm also eyeing up a few German/Czech-tinged albums, First step, of course, would getting the Arhoolie Adolf Hofner stuff again, but beyond that I've checked out the likes of ...

51jXXgmHSQL._SS500_.jpg

Given our mutual tastes, you'll no doubt be unsurprised I'm also eyeing up a few German/Czech-tinged albums, First step, of course, would getting the Arhoolie Adolf Hofner stuff again, but beyond that I've checked out the likes of ...

No, Kenny, I am not surprised but cannot really contibute much there. I do enjoy what Adolph Hofner sings in Czech (not only on the Arhoolie reissues but also on what has since been reissued among his Decca and Sarg recordings) but have never gone beyond that (yet ... ;)).

BTW, some interesting tracks (that complement other more widely available reissues) are found on this recent reissue:

http://www.venerablemusic.com/catalog/TitleDetails.asp?TitleID=14832

Again, I remember marvelling at the variety of reissues in the field of German-Bohemian (etc.) immigrants' music that Arhoolie had in their early 80s catalog, and no doubt this has been expanded in the CD era. But somehow it all was (and is) a bit too ... well, "esoteric" for me, and as you only can buy so much (and I am running out of storage shelf space FAST anyway :D) this category has never made it to anywhere near the top of my buying priorities.

As I have only tipped the iceberg of early Tex-Mex music so far, example, there will be more to check out there before I expand relentlessly into other historical "ethnic" music.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

No, Kenny, I am not surprised but cannot really contibute much there. I do enjoy what Adolph Hofner sings in Czech (not only on the Arhoolie reissues but also on what has since been reissued among his Decca and Sarg recordings) but have never gone beyond that (yet ... ;)).

BTW, some interesting tracks (that complement other more widely available reissues) are found on this recent reissue:

http://www.venerablemusic.com/catalog/TitleDetails.asp?TitleID=14832

Again, I remember marvelling at the variety of reissues in the field of German-Bohemian (etc.) immigrants' music that Arhoolie had in their early 80s catalog, and no doubt this has been expanded in the CD era. But somehow it all was (and is) a bit too ... well, "esoteric" for me, and as you only can buy so much (and I am running out of storage shelf space FAST anyway :D) this category has never made it to anywhere near the top of my buying priorities.

As I have only tipped the iceberg of early Tex-Mex music so far, example, there will be more to check out there before I expand relentlessly into other historical "ethnic" music.

Yeah well, my interest in such matters will no doubt fall WAY short of my interest in Tex-Mex matters.

However, I don't see it so much as as "historical 'ethnic' music" as just more "Texas music".

And as someone who also recognises 1. You can only buy so much (let alone find time to listen to it); and 2. as someone who also has storage issues ... all I can say is thanks a bunch, pal, for linking me up to another fascinating website. :) Ka-ching!

One of the great gigs of my life was seeing the Texas Troubadours at Jimmy's in New Orleans. How about it? A supergroup that really was super. There was some funny stuff going, on though. After Freddy and Flaco has taken a number of vocals, Sahm snarled something along the lines of "Hey now, it's time for the white boys to have a turn." I'd like to think there was humour involved, but it sure didn't seem like it at the time. I tried to engage Sahm in conversation during the break, and he more or less told me to get lost. (Support slot was taken by the Bluerunners, who were doing a very fine job of combining zydeco and punkish guitar grunge at the time ...)

Another super hot gig: Flaco at the Continental Ballroom here in Melbourne, supported by our very own Dancehall Racketeers. The Contintental is a great old, cheesy, gorgeous weddding venue. AFAIK, it's never been used for a similar gig before or since.

One title that's already caught my eye at the Venerable site - Redd Harper: Remember The Alimony. Ha! Very cool!

Edited by kenny weir

One title that's already caught my eye at the Venerable site - Redd Harper: Remember The Alimony. Ha! Very cool!

I have that one but have only given it a BRIEF (and spotty) listen since receiving it so cannot comment on it yet (except that it is fairly "straightforward"). Will listen closer ASAP.

Can't help you because I never got into Tex-Mex very much - partly because of the language barrier, but mostly because the amount of recorded music seemed somewhat overwhelming. I can recommend Lydia Mendoza as someone to look into - I'm sure you've found that Arhoolie has at least a half dozen recordings available.

I heard her perform at a concert in Manhattan in the mid 80's - it was announced as her first New york appearance in 40 years - and she was wonderful.

As far as Flaco Jimenez goes, this is a good place to start:

c65750t51lh.jpg

AY TE DEJO EN SAN ANTONIO Y MAS!

Also, not quite conjunto / Tejano / nortena, but an important strain of Mexican-Southwestern-American music is collected on this disc:

f230119dcdk.jpg

PACHUCO BOOGIE

Jump blues meets corridos.

Locally (here in DFW), The Tejas Brothers are keeping some of this music alive... but if you really want to know what going on contemporarily, check the live music listings for San Antonio and the Texas Hill Country dance halls.

Also, not quite conjunto / Tejano / nortena, but an important strain of Mexican-Southwestern-American music is collected on this disc:

f230119dcdk.jpg

PACHUCO BOOGIE

:tup :tup :tup for that one!

Continuing in the "forefathers of Tex-Mex" realm, I'd also recommend this for its "oddball entertainment" value:

http://www.swapacd.com/cd/album/44001-on+the+road+with+rocknroll

The CD seems to OOP but donwloads exist. And maybe secondhand copies of that CD aren't that elusive ...

Finally, since somebody mentioned "Jazz In Mexico", here is a historical nod in that direction:

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/jazz_in_mexico_the_legendary_1954_sessions_vol.1-cd-3787.html

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/jazz_in_mexico_the_legendary_1954_sessions_vol.2-cd-3786.html

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Tex (not so much Mex) are people like Ray Wylie Hubbard, Gurf Morlix, Terri Hendrix.

Tex & Mex are the wonderful Sisters Morales.

Since Lila Downs (all Mex, no Tex) was mentioned earlier, I'll put in a thumbs up for her new Live In Paris CD.

She's great in person & I like all of her CDs.

f230119dcdk.jpg

PACHUCO BOOGIE

:tup :tup :tup for that one!

Continuing in the "forefathers of Tex-Mex" realm, I'd also recommend this for its "oddball entertainment" value:

http://www.swapacd.com/cd/album/44001-on+the+road+with+rocknroll

The CD seems to OOP but donwloads exist. And maybe secondhand copies of that CD aren't that elusive ...

Finally, since somebody mentioned "Jazz In Mexico", here is a historical nod in that direction:

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/jazz_in_mexico_the_legendary_1954_sessions_vol.1-cd-3787.html

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/jazz_in_mexico_the_legendary_1954_sessions_vol.2-cd-3786.html

There's a track by Mando & The Chili Peppers - a very cool South Of The Border - on this 2cd: The Best of Golden Crest: 48 Tall Cool Ones

I'll keep an eye out for the album - I didn't know it'd been done by Ace. Great cover!

41VCDT2ED8L._SS400_.jpg

Jump blues meets corridos: This was in my Arhoolie cart, but I ditched it - sounded a little too sloppy for mine. Still on the "maybe" list.

Locally (here in DFW), The Tejas Brothers are keeping some of this music alive.

Oh man - that looks like a cool gig, nice old theatre! Yummo! They sound like the Iguanas.

Edited by kenny weir

Tex (not so much Mex) are people like Ray Wylie Hubbard, Gurf Morlix, Terri Hendrix.

Since Lila Downs (all Mex, no Tex) was mentioned earlier, I'll put in a thumbs up for her new Live In Paris CD.

Lila Downs is performing a concert here in Dallas in November (at the new Opera House), along with fantastic Spanish vocalist Buika. I'm looking forward to it. Edited by kh1958

Lila Downs is performing a concert here in Dallas in November (at the new Opera House), along with fantastic Spanish vocalist Buika. I'm looking forward to it.

That should be a great concert.

I have all of the Buika CDs. Have never seen her in person.

Recently, a colleague lent me a couple of '60s/'70s Mexican wrestling movies, starring Santo and The Blue Demon. Man, that's stuff is about as cool as movies get in the world of Kenny & Bennie. Very strong on the whole Catholic voodoo vampire bloodsucking type of schtick. :)

Anyone heard any of the many Augie Myers albums out there?

Edited by kenny weir

Recently, a colleague lent me a couple of '60s/'70s Mexican wrestling movies, starring Santo and The Blue Demon. Man, that's stuff is about as cool as movies get in the world of Kenny & Bennie. Very strong on the whole Catholic voodoo vampire bloodsucking type of schtick. :)

Anyone heard any of the many Augie Myers albums out there?

Ah, the luchador...

I've heard this early 80's Meyers session:

d29093k3083.jpg

Shows off his various keyboard talents fairly well, as well as his agreeably wayward voice.

• 1 month later...

51zzeNC7VSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Los Camperos De Valles - Mexican Sones Huastecos

Thanks to kh1958 for the tip on this one. I haven't got 'round to reading the rather detailed notes yet, so I don't know about this music or where it fits in. But it's very good, if a bit samey for a long stretch. There's a ton of terrific fine violin (fiddle?) and the whole lot is drenched in fire and passion. A very nice addition in terms of diversity.

416AKBP50PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Various artists - San Antonio's Conjuntos in the 1950s

I struggled to find even a single review of this - at all the usual places (Amazon, allmusic etc), but went ahead and ordered it anyway. Glad I did, too. Turns out this is a 28-track appraisal of the Rio label run by a certain Hymie Wolf, with a pleasing range of style and influences. This kind of specific focus on a label, genre or region is exactly what I go looking for, and it makes me wonder what other likeminded items are lurking in the Arhoolie catalogue and elsewhere, masked by a simple "various artists" tag that is actually quite misleading. Anyway, here there's even a Tex-Mex hoedown tribute to Clifton Chenier on Boppin' The Rock. Essential listening, I reckon, and a nice way to signal a pause in my pursuit of Tex-Mex sounds - for now at least!

Edited by kenny weir

Another good one available for a pittance:

Amalia Mendoza and Jose Alfredo JImenez--Cantando A Duo.

An RCA recording from 1964. Excellent sound.

http://www.amazon.com/Voces-Queridas-Mexico-Alfredo-Jimenez/dp/B000005LE3/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1282521139&sr=1-3

Thanks! At that price, I'll get that pronto! (Cool cover, too ... :party: )

Edited by kenny weir

Another good one available for a pittance:

Amalia Mendoza and Jose Alfredo JImenez--Cantando A Duo.

An RCA recording from 1964. Excellent sound.

http://www.amazon.com/Voces-Queridas-Mexico-Alfredo-Jimenez/dp/B000005LE3/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1282521139&sr=1-3

Thanks! At that price, I'll get that pronto! (Cool cover, too ... :party: )

yeah you have to check out some jose alfredo jimenez recordings, he's a legend on mexico...

don't know what kind of mex you like since there are a lot of genres but herea are some artists you might like

lola beltran, pedro infante, jorge negrete, lucha reyes, cuco sanchez, vicente fernandez, antonio aguilar, ramon ayala, javier solis, agustin lara and ana gabriel, some searchings on you tube for each one might help to decide if they worth the while for you. i personally like some jose alfredo aguilar tunes

• 8 months later...

9017.jpg9013.jpg

I've been curious about Tejano/conjunto music for awhile, but didn't know where to start exploring it. The answer came today in a pretty practical way - I found two Arhoolie CDs in the bargain bin of a local used CD store:

Chris Sandoval - Pioneer of Tejano Music

Jesus Maya & Timoteo Cantu - El Primero Conjunto Norteno Famoso; 1946-1949.

So these are pretty random choices, chosen because they were there and cheap. I like them both, but the Maya & Cantu is a little rawer and roots-ier, so it appeals to me more on first listen. This thread and the Arhoolie site have given me some ideas about what to explore next, as has this interesting site.