Cabaret Echoes (Cabaret Echoes)

MomsMobley

Although it's not yet re-re-re-re-re-re-re-released on XRCD or as 12" 45 RPM, and while it's unlikely to make your "interconnects" harder, thicker, longer or-- and this is key-- more "transparent," I'm sure there are Organauts who are interested in this set from the Off The Record wing of Archeophone, whom we know and love for their King Oliver set a few years back--

Cabaret Echoes

Most of us will have some or even most of these cuts in other forms but not all, I doubt. Seems a very worthy purchase but I'm curious what other think.

I don't have this in hand myself yet so can't comment.

I can say that EVERYONE reading this should listen to William Albright performing Scott Joplin as often as possible.

Thank you.

Moms

Edited by MomsMobley

Addressed here:

For mine, the spoken word tracks truly stuff the whole thing up. What were they thinking? If included, they should have been put together - separately. It's all well and good to be ambitious, but in this case little thought seems to have been given to those wanting to play the set on a regular basis. I have found myself already reaching for other sets on which I have the tracks. This one'll be gathering dust before too long ...

Edited by kenny weir

Oh! Thanks for the thoughts, Kenny. And like Harold, I'd probably make a cd-r excluding the interviews, which seem like they'd have been better placed as an appendix at the end of the disc. Maybe I'll hold off on this and get the Archeophone Sophie Tucker set instead.

Had disc 1 on just now. Some tasty stuff. The two Hightowers Nighthawks' tracks that wrap up the disc -- 'Boar Hog Blues' and 'Squeeze Me' -- have such a perfectly relaxed feel. So nice.

Johnny De Droit's 'Brown Eyes' with Rudolph Levy's (alto) solo is wonderful as well.

The quick little vignettes don't bother me too much. FF on the remote.