Dave Holland Quintet

sheldonm

I went to see the Dave Holland Quintet in Chicago last night. If you get a chance to see this band, don't miss them. Robin Eubanks on Trombone, Chris Potter on Saxophone, Steve Nelson on Vibes/Marimbas and a young kid on drums, who's name I seem to have forgotten :blink:; his last name is Smith! The place (Jazz Showcase) was packed (overflowing) but I sat front and center and photographed all night.

Mark

Edited by sheldonm

I went to see the Dave Holland Quintet in Chicago last night. If you get a chance to see this band, don't miss them. Robin Eubanks on Trombone, Chris Potter on Saxophone, Steve Nelson on Vibes/Marimbas and a young kid on drums, who's name I seem to have forgotten :blink:; his last name is Smith! The place (Jazz Showcase) was packed (overflowing) but I sat front and center and photographed all night.

Mark

Let's see some photos then! B)

7/4,

Is this a dare????? ^_^ I will have them printed in the next day or so. I'd have to figure out how to attach them here, as I am "computer stupid". I would be glad to scan a few and e-mail them to you; PM me your address. I have many other jazz photographs on-line at www.allaboutjazz.com and www.jazzhouse.org if you would like to see some of them. Go to the gallery link and look for my name (Mark Sheldon).

Mark

I saw the current DH quintet here in KC with Kilson back in March of 2001 (first time I had ever heard DH live), and heard them again about 8 or 10 months later in Columbia, MO. Both shows were among THE very best jazz shows I've ever seen in my entire life, especially the first one.

Seriously, that first DH concert was every bit as good as the best sex I've ever had (and I say that not to dis my sex life, nor to dis Holland's group).

And the feeling of adrenaline-induced euphoria after that concert was not unlike the time I bungee jumped back in 1992.

Word!! :bwallace:

7/4,

Is this a dare????? ^_^ I will have them printed in the next day or so. I'd have to figure out how to attach them here, as I am "computer stupid". I would be glad to scan a few and e-mail them to you; PM me your address. I have many other jazz photographs on-line at www.allaboutjazz.com and www.jazzhouse.org if you would like to see some of them. Go to the gallery link and look for my name (Mark Sheldon).

Mark

Check you email.....I saw your photos at www.jazzhouse.org, quite dramatic!

I saw DH recently here in NJ and loved Steve Nelson. Funny that you mention about Chris Potter being on sax because when I saw them, Antonio Hart was on sax. Maybe he was just temporary. Eubanks had incredible energy!

Where? At the Newark Performing Arts Center or whatever they call it?

I used to see Steve Nelson playing around New Brunswick in the late '70's to mid '80s. Starting at the New Brunswick Jazz Collective and then later with drummer Bill Elder. Next thing I knew he's playing Mingus (Epitath) at Lincoln Center.

I saw DH recently here in NJ and loved Steve Nelson.  Funny that you mention about Chris Potter being on sax because when I saw them, Antonio Hart was on sax.  Maybe he was just temporary.  Eubanks had incredible energy!

Where? At the Newark Performing Arts Center or whatever they call it?

I used to see Steve Nelson playing around New Brunswick in the late '70's to mid '80s. Starting at the New Brunswick Jazz Collective and then later with drummer Bill Elder. Next thing I knew he's playing Mingus (Epitath) at Lincoln Center.

Yes, at NJPAC, in the big theater. They're going to have Roy Haynes group with Dave Holland doing a tribute to Bird in May or so and I'm looking forward to that.