Need Advice Re: NYC

grey

We're in NYC for a few days visiting family and friends for the holidays. It is the first time back home since March '01. I want to do some CD browsing but my time is quite limited.

1) Do the 2 Tower locations (W4th + W66th) still have good jazz import selections?

2) Do the 2 Virgin Megastores (14th + 45th) still have good jazz selections?

3) Is the Jazz Record Center (W26th) still worth a visit?

I have no time to peruse used CD stores.

Thanks for any advice offered.

I haven't seen much of the import stuff at Tower lately, since the bankruptcy and cal, though there's still (I think) a bin of relatively undesireable stuff at the lower Broadway location. The things I come across in Tower's bins (inlcuding imports) are also available on their website at no-worse prices. Save your NYC time for things you can't get on the web - like JRC's incredible vinyl inventory!

The Tower near Lincoln Center on Broadway is definitely worth visiting. There's a Tower in my city but the selection is far inferior to the one on Broadway, where on my last visit a couple of months ago I found numerous interesting and hard-to-find CDs.

I also really liked the Jazz Record Center, but this one is more for someone who prefers vinyl.

I haven't had much time for CD browsing but I did stop into the Tower on the Upper West Side since we were visiting relatives in the area. It was quite a disappointment. I hadn't been there in almost 3 years and that was before the bankruptcy. This Towers location was one of the best retail sites that I had ever been to for imports but now it seemed real empty. Too bad.

On the brighter side there is something magic about NYC at Christmas --- the lights, the decorations and even the snow the other night. We went to see the movie ELF last night and appropriately it is set in NY. A big :tup

Yes, New York is special at Christmas time. (And I'm just a little less sentimental than scrooge himself.)

I agree that the Lincoln Center Tower ain't what it used to be, pre-BK. Frankly, I don't know of any decent places to buy CDs other than mass-market stuff above about 23rd. (NYCD is okay)

The imports though far fewer are still there at Tower W4, but they've been integrated with the other titles. For the std catalogs, go down to J&R, those are the best prices you will find at retail. For selection, the best jazz CD shopping in NYC is still Tower W4, followed by Tower W66 (fewer imports than W4), Virgin Union Square. Tower W4 and Virgin Union Sq have recently reduced their sq footage devoted to jazz bins.

I would spend money at DMG and the JRC before I give money to any chain, though. Kim's on Astor Place may have a few good used titles, and of course Norman's (3rd Ave, around the corner from Kims) is great for recent OOPs.

Norman's (3rd Ave, around the corner from Kims) is great for recent OOPs.

:tup:tup:tup Norman's is great. It's on 3rd Avenue between 7th Street and St. Mark's Place (aka 8th Street). Kim's is on St. Mark's between 3rd and 2nd Aves. (both are near the Astor Place subway stop on the 6 train).

Then it's a short trip down 3rd Avenue (aka Bowery) to Downtown Music Gallery (342 Bowery between 2nd and 3rd Streets). And right next door at 344 Bowery is Sala, a Spanish (as in Spain) restaurant with great "platas" (bigger than "tapas" but smaller and cheaper than entrees).

BTW, I have NO financial interest in any of these establishments!