Pat Thomas on BBC Radio 3!

Hello,

I've just seen that master pianist and improviser Pat Thomas is going to be doing a session and interview on Radio 3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t1zh3

He's always been a huge influence and supportive ear for me certainly; and others on the British scene: but the media here have not given him the exposure that other players have received. So it's great that this is happening! It's on next Monday and will be available for a week in the UK.

C.

Edited by coreymwamba

This is indeed good news. Too long overlooked. I saw him recently in a very interesting trio with Shabaka Hutchings and a drummer whose name escapes me - great piano playing

Why not sample his work with Wadada Leo Smith on the Abbey Road Quartet disc on Treader? You'll get to her his playing on synthesizers too.

I recorded an interview with Pat for this programme actually...we play a sampling of his recordings during that, so that might be a good way to check him out for those not familiar! But agreed - that Abbey Road Quartet is absolutely great IMHO.

p.s. Roger Turner would have been the drummer I think!

Yes, of course it was Roger Turner. Thanks Alex. No reflection on his drumming just my memory!

Looking forward to the interview.

Let's not forget a recent musical tribute to Mr Thomas - 'Cowley Road Strut. Message from the East (for Pat Thomas)' by a certain Alexander Hawkins Ensemble. Well worth listening to, once you've checked out the man himself