Swing Street Showcase (Commodore material)

mjzee

I own a commercial audio cassette of some Commodore material, released by Pair Records under the title "Swing Street Showcase 1938-1939." No discographical information is provided. Any help you can provide with personnel, recording dates, etc., would be greatly appreciated!

On the cassette:

Jonah Jones: Rose Of The Rio Grande, You Brought A New Kind Of Love To Me, Hubba Hubba Hop, Stomping At The Savoy

Stuff Smith: My Blue Heaven, My Thoughts

Leo Watson: For He's A Jolly Good Fellow, Let's Get Happy

Joe Marsala & His Delta Four: Salty Mama Blues, Three O'Clock Jump, Wandering Man Blues, Reunion In Harlem

DeParis Bros. Orch.: I've Found A New Baby, Black And Blue, Change O'Key Boogie, The Shiek Of Araby

23e8793509a0caac2ea52110.L.jpg

Jonah Jones And His Orchestra : Jonah Jones (tp) Tyree Glenn (tb,vibraphone) Buster Bailey (cl) Hilton Jefferson (as) Ike Quebec (ts) Dave Rivera (p) Danny Barker (g) Milt Hinton (b) J.C. Heard (d). New York, July 31, 1945

Stuff Smith And His Orchestra : Jonah Jones (tp,vcl) George Clarke (ts,vcl) Stuff Smith (vln,vcl) Sam Allen (p,celesta-1) Bernard Addison (g) John Brown (b) Herbert Cowans (d). New York, September 1939

Bobby Hackett (cnt) Pete Brown (tp,as) Joe Marsala (cl,ts) Joe Bushkin (celeste,p) Leonard Feather (p) Ray Biondi (g) Artie Shapiro (b) George Wettling (d) Leo Watson (vcl) New York, March 10, 1938

Joe Marsala And His Delta Four : Bill Coleman (tp,vcl) Joe Marsala (cl) Pete Brown (as) Leonard Feather (p) Carmen Mastren (g) Gene Traxler (b) Dell St. John (vcl) New York, April 4, 1940

Sidney DeParis (tp) Wilbur DeParis (tb) Edmond Hall (cl) Clyde Hart (p) Billy Taylor, Sr. (b) Specs Powell (d) New York, February 5, 1944

Et voila!

And thank The Lord!

I own a commercial audio cassette of some Commodore material, released by Pair Records under the title "Swing Street Showcase 1938-1939." No discographical information is provided. Any help you can provide with personnel, recording dates, etc., would be greatly appreciated!

On the cassette:

Jonah Jones: Rose Of The Rio Grande, You Brought A New Kind Of Love To Me, Hubba Hubba Hop, Stomping At The Savoy

Stuff Smith: My Blue Heaven, My Thoughts

Leo Watson: For He's A Jolly Good Fellow, Let's Get Happy

Joe Marsala & His Delta Four: Salty Mama Blues, Three O'Clock Jump, Wandering Man Blues, Reunion In Harlem

DeParis Bros. Orch.: I've Found A New Baby, Black And Blue, Change O'Key Boogie, The Shiek Of Araby

Jonah Jones and His Orchestra: Jonah Jones (tp), Tyree Glenn (tb,vib), Buster Bailey (cl), Hilton Jefferson (as), Ike Quebec (ts), Dave Rivera (p), Danny Barker (g), Milt Hinton (b), J.C. Heard (d), New York, July 31, 1945

Stuff Smith and His Orchestra: Jonah Jones (tp), George Clark (ts), Stuff Smith (vln,vcl), Sam Allen (p,celeste), Bernard Addison (g), John Brown (b), Herbert Cowans (d), New York, December 7, 1939

Joe Marsala and His Delta Four: Bill Coleman (tp,vcl), Joe Marsala (cl), Pete Brown (as), Leonard Feather (p (on R in H only)), Carmen Mastren (g), Gene Traxler (b), Dell St. John (vcl), New York, April 4, 1940

DeParis Brothers Orchestra: Sidney DeParis (tp), Wilbur DeParis (tb), Edmond Hall (cl), Clyde Hart (p), Billy Taylor (b), Specs Powell (d), New York, February 5, 1944

I don't have the info for the Leo Watson session--sorry. Someone with the Mosaic Commodore set may be able to help you out.

Sounds like good stuff. Bruyninckx shows some of it as available on CD, too. Note that there some additional takes on the Jones session that aren't on your tape.

• 12 years later...

The information posted earlier in the thread (appended below) is correct.  

>>>

Stuff Smith And His Orchestra : Jonah Jones (tp,vcl) George Clarke (ts,vcl) Stuff Smith (vln,vcl) Sam Allen (p,celesta-1) Bernard Addison (g) John Brown (b) Herbert Cowans (d). New York, September 1939

>>>

Some of the names on the label appear to be either made up (contractual reasons?)  or just wrong.

2 hours ago, jazztrain said:

The information posted earlier in the thread (appended below) is correct.  

>>>

>>>

Some of the names on the label appear to be either made up (contractual reasons?)  or just wrong.

Thanks. That Stuff session is the stuff, so I'm glad to have the right info.  It's nuts that the booklet doesn't have complete personnel for every session in standard format and that one has to hunt around in the text or online to figure things out.  IIRC, the Eddie Heywood reissue also has the personnel buried in the text, although the Hackett/Mole/Spanier reissue has the personnel listed properly.